Pureed Protein (week 3) --- HELP!?!?!?

MintyMew
on 9/1/08 9:16 am - Katy, TX

Hi all.  This Wednesday, I hit week 3 post-op.  I want to have a monumental celebration of food options as I make the switch from Full Liquid.  I have to say that the Full Liquid diet was one of the biggest challenges of my life.  The suggestions I were given by my dietician were horrible, but as I researched on the internet, I found out that it was standard.  OK, broth was good... but not after day 5!  I never eat pudding, or fudgcicles, so I really felt like I was forcing myself to eat crap.  I'm so 'food depressed' right now I can hardly stand it.  I did not cheat by the way, not even a little bit... but this sucks.
I know I was an overeater in the past, but I did at least eat "good" food.  This is so hard, with everything being powdered, condensed and packaged.
Anyway, here is my question:
Has anyone come up with a way to eat lean meats that are pureed? 
The idea of pureed beef/pork/chicken/fish makes me want to vomit.  Is there a way I can maybe have tuna fish, and not put it in a blender???
If I have to 'blend' a chicken breast, can I add a little light mayo and pretend it is Chicken Salad???
I really need a resource for ideas.  I have great self-control, but I don't want to starve to death because of being finicky.
I'm already so sad about eating... I'm afaid it will only get worse. 
I'm enduring protein shakes as a part of my new life, but what are the masses doing with their meats in week 3.  Please help!

shutterbunny.weebly.com

JulB
on 9/1/08 1:29 pm - PA
I blended meats with either a little whipped potatoes,or a very small amount of sour cream (light), to give them a little more flavor and softness. I did this with chicken, turkey etc. I also found that the lowfat corn beef hash was pretty good pureed. For the chicken I would buy a roasted chicken from the supermarket, my family would eat most of it, but I pureed pieces of the breast meat (no skin). Good luck with it!
Julie

MintyMew
on 9/3/08 3:50 am - Katy, TX
Thank you so much...  I was really going crazy with the menu the dietician had given me.

shutterbunny.weebly.com

JulB
on 9/3/08 10:28 am - PA
Good luck with it, at least this part is over pretty quickly. It's funny I really had trouble with the slightly more solid food during the puree stage, but that stopped about 2 days before I switched to soft foods. I can still only manage about 2-3 oz at a time though.
Julie

syracuse_butterfly
on 9/4/08 8:43 am - Syracuse, NY
I am a 10 days out and am in the soft foods. My diet plan allows for light mayo to be mixed in. I have had no problems with it.
Ruth Shapovalov
on 9/6/08 5:11 am - Bothell, WA
I wonder if this would work... I buy this amazing stuff at Trader Joe's. It's called 'Cheese style yogurt'. It's plain. I add a bit of olive oil to it for a delicious sandwich spread (rather than mayo with the bad fat) What if you blended pureed chicken with that combo (the yogurt and a little bit of extra virgin olive oil) and some seasonings. I imagine that would be quite tasty. I'm surprised you "endure" protein shakes. I can hardly wait to have one each morning... for the past 2 years...
MintyMew
on 9/7/08 4:03 am - Katy, TX
These are all good ideas.  I have a great doctor, but I didn't get much of a menu plan from the dietician.  I'm really struggling with what to eat.  I wish I was able to eat blended foods 10 days out!  My doc has me waiting until 21 days/ 3 weeks out to eat pureed foods.

I liked your suggestions a lot.  I will try it for sure... only 3 days to go!

Thanx!

shutterbunny.weebly.com

sarard
on 9/7/08 8:00 am - Costa Mesa, CA
 Each surgeon is a bit different, but we allow the following on the puree protein: 

scrambled eggs
canned tuna fish (can be mixed with mayo & seasoned, but no celery or onions)
canned chicken (it is similar to tuna fish)
pureed meat (a lot of my patients would make meat balls with ground beef & onion, puree it, and mix it with broth for a thick soup) - actually, this is what I recommended with the pureed protein to make it easier to eat.  Cook a meat, puree it, then add it to soup or something.  
Yogurt (non sugared)
Egg Custard (non sugared)
Pudding made with milk (non sugared)
Tofu

Unfortunately, there isn't too much to offer in this stage ..... :)  Good luck ---- 

Sara Nejat-Bina, RD, CNSD, CDE
Registered Dietitian
sarard
on 9/7/08 8:01 am - Costa Mesa, CA
 one more .... 

we also allow small curd cottage cheese on the pureed protein stage. 

Sara Nejat-Bina, RD, CNSD, CDE
Registered Dietitian
MintyMew
on 9/8/08 8:10 am - Katy, TX
Thank you.  This was very helpful.  I can't wait to try the meat/soup thing.  Sounds good.

shutterbunny.weebly.com

Most Active