XPost: exercise -vs- calories consumed

zookeeper711
on 8/29/08 11:47 am - Philadelphia, PA
I just can't seem to find the answer, so maybe the folks here can help.  I'm 3 1/2 months out from RNY.  I was just cleared to exercise (but no core work) due to a nasty, large abcess post-op.  I have lost 68 lbs so far.

Now the question...I am logging my foods on thedailyplate.com as well as my exercise.  At this point I'm doing 2 hours of water aerobics 3 times a week.  On those days I'm burning more calories through exercise than I'm consuming.  Is this OK?  I had a call into the nutritionist and I'm waiting... and waiting... and waiting for an answer.  Opinions?  Thanks.  -Zook-

viewimage.aspx.jpg

amber T.
on 8/29/08 11:46 pm - somewhere, KS
Yup, this is how weight loss happens.. It takes a 3500 calorie defecit to lose 1 pound. Now, you also have a basal metabolic rate (this is how many calories it takes just for your cells to complete their functions) an average sized active woman (about 160 lbs) burns approx 1800-2000 calories a day. Now if you're larger than that (I'm assuming you are because hello, we're on an obesity website) then you burn more than that, exercise is just an added bonus, helps you lose faster, and is great for your respiratory and circulatory system. So, that's how you were losing weight before you were working out, you've been at a calorie defecit from day 1. Hope that helps!
zookeeper711
on 8/30/08 12:17 am - Philadelphia, PA
Ah ha!  Now I see.  So this is all a good thing.  :)

Thanks for the clear explanation.  It's appreciated.

-Zook-

viewimage.aspx.jpg

timsdanni
on 8/30/08 12:01 pm - Ft Stewart, GA
you already got some good answers - my only input is to make sure you keep your protien and water both up and balanced - good rule of thumb is one oz of water for every gram of protien

and keep working out - when all the fat is gone you want to find muscles underneath :)

peace
danni
Home is where the army allows me to live with my husband

I know what I need to do - I have to choose to take care of me or I choose to fail

zookeeper711
on 8/30/08 12:41 pm - Philadelphia, PA
Thank you, danni.  I am keeping a close eye on both protein and water.  And BTW, I love your signature.

-deanie-

viewimage.aspx.jpg

timsdanni
on 8/30/08 12:44 pm - Ft Stewart, GA
thanks - it came to me one day when I relized how crabby I get when I don't get to work out - I feel out of sorts, it is easy to eat crap, feed the kids crap, sit around all day - just generally do the things that I KNOW are not good for me but when I hit the gym first thing in the morning my whole day is better - I eat better, am nicer to hubby and kids, get more done even if I need a nap to make up for getting up so early LOL
Home is where the army allows me to live with my husband

I know what I need to do - I have to choose to take care of me or I choose to fail

Most Active