Still haven't found a nutritionist and have a food question

BillieC
on 8/28/08 9:04 am - Laurens, SC
I'm still trying to find a nutritionist who does individual consultations and can take me (not easy in Upstate, SC for some reason).

But in the meantime, I've been in a stall for almost 3 weeks now and it's making me crazy.  Everyone at school was so impressed with what I'd lost when we started back and I'm stuck now and not losing an ounce.

I've been a little lax on keeping a food diary because I knew I wasn't eating much and was sticking to my plan so today I decided to log every bite and see what I came up with.

I've had 400 calories today!  For breakfast I had 3 slices of turkey bacon, lunch was the toppings off 1/2 a South Beach pepperoni pizza and snack was 1/8 of a PowerBar chocolate peanut butter bar.  I ate 2 oz of hamburger steak for dinner.  Somehow, even though I thought I was doing really well I've managed to get 22g of carbs and only 31g of protein.  I've had 18 oz of water and all my vitamins, too.

Is it more likely I'm stalled because I'm eating too many carbs or because I'm not eating enough or because I'm not drinking enough or a combo of all....

Am I eating all wrong?  I know I need to drink more and I'll make sure I get another 16.9 oz bottle down before bed.  Even though that's not enough, it's better than what I've done so far.

Any words of wisdom?

WARNING:  I am almost always trying (and not always succeeding) to be funny.  Don't take it the wrong way, please!

DawnVA
on 8/28/08 10:37 am - VA
Billie -- I'm not sure whether you're serious, because it sounds like you're trying to starve yourself to death.  But I'll try to help if I can.  Are you saying that by 4:00 in the afternoon, you've only eaten 400 calories?  How long have you been sustaining this starvation mode?  It's no wonder your poor body is holding onto weight!  If our bodies think we're giving it very little, they will hold onto the tiny bit we give it.  This is why starvation diets don't work.  So please eat!  :)

I don't believe you need a nutritionist, it's quite simple.  Eat more protein, less carbs and 5 - 6 meals a day.  You are not eating nearly enough.  Don't focus on calories at all, just count protein grams (aim for about 100) and aim for under than in carb grams.  Get the protein from shakes and food if you can't hold that much protein in food alone.  Keep drinking your water and more calorie-free liquids -- 18 oz is nowhere near enough either.  Continue with a food journal, it keeps us all very honest.  :)  Wait 30 minutes or more after eating to drink  -- that's a big one.

That should do it, advice-wise.  Now go eat something and be healthy!!!  :)

Dawn
BillieC
on 8/28/08 12:49 pm, edited 8/28/08 12:50 pm - Laurens, SC
Thanks Dawn.  I'm not trying to do anything unhealthy, I promise!  I'm having trouble because I'm a teacher and opportunities to eat are few and far between.  I've just found something I can tolerate in the mornings without pain (had tried shakes, protein hot cocoa, eggs, lunch meats, room temp water) and it's bacon.  I thought there'd more protein in that stuff but it figures my pouch would like fat!  I'm going to buy turkey bacon when we grocery shop tomorrow evening.  I eat my 3 small slices of bacon on the road and arrive at school (an hour from home) by 7:30.

Then, I get a short break about 9:45 but the whole time we've been in school, they've been holding meetings, etc. during that time and I haven't gotten to have a high protein snack like I'd planned.  Lunch isn't until 12:45 and I eat 3-4 oz of food as high in protein as possible.  I can leave school at 4 pm and I eat a small snack of some kind on the road home...usually a piece of a protein bar.  I've got to find one I can stand that's lower in crbs than my PowerBar because even 1/8 of that thing seems to have too many carbs.

So I get home about 5 pm and do dinner about 6.  I guess I'm having trouble finding time in the day to eat enough.  BTW, I'm actually on EST so even though my post showed 4 pm, it was around 7...so I was worse than I even thought I was!

I found a nutritionist tonight.  One that I contacted two weeks ago apparently had been on vacation.  He says he can see me really soon so that's good.

I appreciate your answer to my question because I really thought I hadn't been getting enough calories to sustain me.  Now I know to aim for more protein and hang in there until my new guy can get me in.

WARNING:  I am almost always trying (and not always succeeding) to be funny.  Don't take it the wrong way, please!

DawnVA
on 8/28/08 9:45 pm - VA
Billie -- I think you know where you need to make improvements, it's just sometimes hard to get there.  You've simply got to find good food choices and find time in the day to eat properly.  Believe me, I know how the workday can fly along and get in the the way, but aside from you not losing weight like you want, you could seriously be on a path to damaging your health.  Protein bars a good option, but I agree that it's tough to find one that's high in protein AND low in sugar and carbs -- and doesn't take like sawdust.  :)  For a shake suggestion, you might try Muscle Milk or Muscle Milk light.  I really like them.  Regular Muscle Milk (in the premade 'cans' has 10 grams of useable carbs and 5 grams of sugar, but 22 grams of protein.  And I believe they are truly tasty.  But just try to aim for as much real-food protein as you can tolerate and fit in.

My original post said that you didn't really need a nutritionist/dietician, but I take that back.  Please see one asap and that person can definitely help you get on the right track.  Also, please be sure that person has a degree and is licensed, and isn't simply someone who has given themselves that title.
I wish you the best  :)
Dawn

sarard
on 8/28/08 10:58 am - Costa Mesa, CA
 Try going to your local hospital and ask if the hospital dietitian takes out patients.  Try to get an appointment for a consultation.  If the hospital dietitian can not take you as an out patient, he/she may be able to refer you to a dietitian in your area.  

You need to see a dietitian.  You're eating far too little of EVERYTHING.  Far too little protein, carbs, and the most concerning: fluid.  

You need some meal planning and  help with your diet.  You need to get a  handle on this as it appears you are headed down a road of deficiencies & dehydration. 

See a dietitian ... soon!
Sara Nejat-Bina, RD, CNSD, CDE
Registered Dietitian
BillieC
on 8/28/08 12:53 pm - Laurens, SC
Thanks so much, Sara, for answering questions for us.  I finally found an RD who can work with me.  He called me tonight after he'd been out of town since before my message was left.  I appreciate your help.  I'm going to work hard to avoid that bad road!

blackburn.vicki
on 8/30/08 5:42 am
 Everyone has given you great advice. Water, protein and vitamins are the most important. Then your complex low glycemic vegetables and fruits. I eat no refined carbohydrates. If it comes in a box I don't eat it. I don't count Tea, coffee. mayo, mustard, sf ketsup, etc.. All deli meat are processed and unless labeled have sodium nitrates which have been linked to colon cancer. Besides once they add all that junk to it it' doesn't have much meat left in it.  No sodas they make your stomach bigger because of the carbonation. Besides the Heart Association says just drinking one soda a day sets you up for a future heart attack. I don't eat artificial sweeteners I use Steva or Xylitol you can get it at Trader Joes or your health food store. Just remember if a food has more than 3 ingredients don't eat it. Here's my rule "If God didn't make it don't eat it." If man made it, it's been altered, it's not a whole food anymore. 

Here's to our health
Vicki
Most Active