A month after gastric bypass surgery-weight loss concern

lexi1679
on 8/26/08 10:49 pm - Gloucester City, NJ
Hello,
My name is Lexi and I had gastric bypass  on july 28th.
On August 14, I went to my surgeon for my two weeks follow up to find out I had lost 27 lbs. in two weeks. Both my surgeon and I were very happy because I had lost a lot of weight although she thought it has a lot of weight at once.

Well, my concern is, it is now august 27 and since August 14, I have not  lost any weight. What is going on? I am not over eating. So what is going on? Is this normal?

Please reply because i am getting discouraged.

Thank you in advance for your quick response.

Lexi Marioni
Pam T.
on 8/27/08 1:25 am - Saginaw, MI
This is completely normal.  You are doing everything right and all is well with the world.  :-)

You just had major surgery and your body is trying to figure out what happened.  It needs to catch up to you and sometimes that means you'll see a stall on the scale.  Sometimes they'll last a few days, sometimes a few weeks or longer. 

You might also find that your body needs to set a cycle for the weight loss.  This happened with me for the first 4-5 months.  I would stall for 2 weeks, then drop several pounds on the 3rd week.  Then back to 2 more weeks of nothing.  Eventually I caught on to the trend and relaxed into the rhythm. 

Just keep following your plan and doing your exercise and you'll be fine.  This is fun, remember!  :-)

Pam

My Recipe Index is packed full of yumminess!
Visit my blog: Journey to a Healthier Me  ...or my Website

The scale can measure the weight of my body but never my worth as a woman. ~Lysa TerKeurst author of Made to Crave

lexi1679
on 8/29/08 10:37 pm - Gloucester City, NJ
hey Pam,

remember me? the girl freaking out over a stall? well I just lost 3 more lbs!!! yay! i am excited.
thanks again for the advice!

Lexi
lexi1679
on 8/27/08 5:06 am - Gloucester City, NJ
Dear Pam,

Thank you so much for your advice, you gave me peace of mind.
I was so concerned. I lost so much weight in two weeks (27lbs.) and got so excited that when I saw the scale not move I freaked out.  I really cannot weight for the weight to shed off my body. Already with 27 lbs. off my clothes fits loose, even pants that didn't fit before surgery, fit nice. 
Its been 10 days now since I haven't lost any weight so I am going to give it a couple of weeks and I am going to forget about it and just continue doing what I am doing. I watch my fats and sugars as I was told by my nutritionist and Surgeon.
Thank you so much again for your prompt response. I am so glad to have signed up to this website, it is really a great help and support.
So when did you have your surgery and how successful have you been with your weight loss.

My name is Lexi, I am 28 yrs old and had my surgery on July 28th 2008.

Thank you.

Lexi
Ginger L.
on 8/29/08 4:09 am - Woodstock, GA
This is good to know. I am 16 days out and down 26 lbs as of 13 days out . The last three days nothing.  I wasnt really worried just thought it was strange.  Thanks for sharing. 
lexi1679
on 8/29/08 10:35 pm - Gloucester City, NJ
Hey Ginger,

congratulations! 26 pounds is great in 13 days. I was the same way, I lost 27 lbs in two weeks. After hitting a stall where my scale wasn't moving for 15 days, now its finally moving. I list another 3 lbs as of this morning August 30th. It is so exciting to see the weight come off so fast!
Once you hit a stall, just because you aren't losing weight dont worry, you are also losing inches. Measure yourself, you waist, your thighs, your arms and your bust area.
Your bust is the first thing to go...its happening to me.
Well good luck!

Lexi
amber T.
on 8/29/08 11:56 pm - somewhere, KS

Hey Lexi, I had surgery the same day you did, and I lost 30 lbs in the first 2 weeks, and now I've had a stall for the last 2 weeks. And yeah, boobs and butt are gone

lexi1679
on 8/30/08 1:49 am - Gloucester City, NJ
yeah my boobs and butt are gone. my stomach has gone down as well.
its exciting to see the lbs shed off.

lexi
Most Active