How many calories/protein at 8 weeks

(deactivated member)
on 8/27/08 3:51 am
I'm 8 weeks post RNY and have had very dissapointing weight loss results.  I've lost 42 lbs total, but only 25 lbs since surgery.  That's a dissapointing 12.5 lbs per month in the first two months when I should be losing the most.

My Nut and Surgeon are diametrically opposed as to what I should be doing at this point.  Surgeon says 2 oz meals, 3 times a day with only liquids in between.  My NUT says I need to eat a miminum of 5 times a day and take in 800 - 1000 calories. 

Given my disappointing results following the surgeon's advice, I am trying the nuts suggestions (although I am limiting myself to 700 calories).  I am one of those unfortunate post surgery patients who feels no restrictions (I think I could eat and eat If I let myself) and never gets sick.  I'm even hungry most of the day. 

Does anyone out there receive specific advice from their surgeon/Nut regarding calories/protein grams per day for someone who is 8 weeks out.

HELP!
timsdanni
on 8/30/08 12:12 pm - Ft Stewart, GA
take it for what it is worth but I am over 200 pounds down from my high weight

go with the nut - many small meal, use protien shakes to supliment but MESSURE everything and log it in fitday.com or one of the other on line journals - huge help - if you log each thing before you eat it you will not get into a grazing ha*****ard to break!) but you will make sure you are getting plenty

my nuts said 100 grams of protien if you are active 80 if you are not (more once you are closer to goal and doing major training like marathon or hours worth of gym time) and make sure you keep number of oz of water balanced with number of grams of protien

I know protien shakes are not great  - you can find one you can tolorate if you keep looking and trying and no you will never find one the tastes like a DQ shake but it doesn't need to just one you can get down with a minimum of fuss or stuff added

peace
danni

went back to about 8 weeks post op and copyed a day for you - add 300 cals and 63 grams of protien to this - hope this helps
Food Name Amount Unit Cals Fat (g) Carbs (g) Prot (g) Delete
Refried beans with cheese 125 6.1 13.4 4.5
Wheat, cream of, cooked, made with milk 53 1.4 7.3 2.8
Peanut butter 95 8.2 3.1 4.0
Cheese, processed, American or Cheddar type 70 5.4 1.4 4.2
Cracker, 100% whole wheat, reduced fat 32 0.8 5.5 1.0
ff swiss cheese 30 0.0 2.0 5.0
Tomatoes, raw 3 0.0 0.7 0.1
Cheese, cottage, lowfat (1-2% fat) 41 0.6 1.5 7.0
Beans, string, green, cooked, from fresh, fat not added in c... 11 0.1 2.4 0.6
Chicken, boneless, NS as to part, roasted, light or dark mea... 40 1.5 0.0 6.0
Grapes, raw, NS as to type 14 0.1 3.6 0.1
Home is where the army allows me to live with my husband

I know what I need to do - I have to choose to take care of me or I choose to fail

wendy_fou
on 8/31/08 2:18 am - AR
I'll tell you what MY surgeon/NUT/RD have advised me to do.  (I've been very successful following their advice.)

At 8 weeks out, I was consuming between 6 - 8 tablespoons of food 4 times per day (every 4 hours).  That doesn't sound like a lot, but 8 tablespoons is 24 teaspoons (1/2 cup of food).  And 1/2 cup of food is plenty for a pouch the size of an egg. 

At 8 weeks out, I was consuming about 400 - 500 calories per day.  At 3 months out, I increased to about 600 - 700.  At 6 months out, I increased to 1000.  At about 10 - 11 months out, I hit goal and increased to 1200 (with my surgeon's office's blessing of course).  At my 1 year check-up and 12 pounds below my person goal (128 pounds), my surgeon increased me to 1500 calories per day (which corresponded exactly to what the RD who did my MedGem test increased me to a week before - so he was spot on). 

I still eat approximately 1/2 cup 4 times a day (every 4 hours).  I drink usually between 80 - 100 ounces of fluid per day.  Per my surgeon/nut/RD (yes, 3 different people are monitoring me per my choice LOL), I use the 50/25/25 rule.  I get 50% of my calories from carbs, 25% from protein and 25% from fat.  It has worked VERY well for me. 

I'm sorry that you are not getting advice that is working for you from your surgeon.  We are all different and your body may just not have luck with his "plan".  It is unfortunate that we cannot know more about how our specific bodies will or will not cooperate with certain things before we "try" them.  I hope you have better luck soon.

I do KNOW that if you never felt much restriction, that makes it EXTRA important to measure EVERYTHING you eat by VOLUME - not weight - but VOLUME.  This will keep you from over-eating. 
jj_in_CA
on 9/1/08 4:08 am - Gualala, CA

Hi,

We're in about the same place, my surgery was 7/9.  I'm down 32 lbs which isn't the fastest either. My surgeon said I should lose between 2 and 5 lbs a week. Per his instructions I keep below 600 calories a day.  I also walk 3 miles a day most days.  Not all at once, but 10 minutes here, 10 minutes there.  When I don't walk, I don't lose as much or at all.

I've posted what I eat in my profile on a daily basis.  If you're interested take a peek.  Keep up the good work.  Even though it isn't as much as others, you're still going down.  Pat yourself on the back for that.

Be well,

---jan--- 

Most Active