Why arent I losing?

Andrea D.
on 8/27/08 2:18 am - Hampton, VA
VSG on 02/26/08 with
I had the VSG 6 months ago. I have been on a long stall. I lost only 3 pounds in the last month. Very discouraging.
I know I am eating more calories than I should and my carbs average 100 g a day and keep protein 70+. My calories average 1300 a day. I feel this is high as a VSG patient but VSG or not I think that is pretty good.
I read.  Weight x 10 = calories to mantain
Saying that, 1300 calories a day should maintain a 130 lb person right? I weigh 215 lbs so I should definitely be losing weight???????
I do exercise 3-5 days a week. at least 30 minutes on the eliptical and strength training.

I calculated my calories needed for weight loss, my target right now is 175 lbs. It came to1988 calories a day to lose weight which means Im in a deficit of around 600 cal. a day plus any exercise I do. From those numbers I should be losing at least 2 lbs a week.

Why do you think I am not losing?
~Andrea~

Pam T.
on 8/28/08 5:37 am - Saginaw, MI

Online calorie calculators are useless for morbidly obese people.  Once we get to a certain weight level our metabolism is so screwed up that what works for "normal" people, doesn't work for use.  The only way for you to know for sure what your RMR or BMR would be is to have it tested by a professional with a specialized machine... online calculators aren't going to cut it for now.

The whole point of WLS is forced starvation in the early months.  Many people stay on a diet of less than 1000 for the entire first year after surgery.  You definitely need to consult with your surgeon and/or NUT to find out what they recommend as far as calories are concerned with your procedure.  Our calorie range is set so low because we need to shock our body into losing weight, but we need to do it with a very delicate balance of nutritents (protein/carbs/fats). 

I'm 9 months post-op from RNY and I'm eating 1000-1200 calories per day (and I'm not absorbing all that I eat).  I am training for a half-marathon and I'm walking for at least 1-2 hours on 5-6 days per week. 

I'm not saying 1300 is too high or that your calculations aren't right ... but I'd suggest you find out what your surgeon's protocol is and stick with that.  He might say 1300 is just fine... or might have you drop down significantly until you start to lose again.

Good luck
Pam

My Recipe Index is packed full of yumminess!
Visit my blog: Journey to a Healthier Me  ...or my Website

The scale can measure the weight of my body but never my worth as a woman. ~Lysa TerKeurst author of Made to Crave

Andrea D.
on 8/28/08 1:09 pm - Hampton, VA
VSG on 02/26/08 with
Thank You Pam!
~Andrea~

Most Active