RNY daily meal at 6 weeks out

Pegryn
on 8/25/08 8:06 am - Destrehan, LA
Can someone please tell me what is a good menu of meals for me at 6 weeks out, having had RNY?  I am having difficulty with what exactly to eat.  I really want samples of actual meals that I can eat, not suggestions like mushy beans, soft fruit, etc.  Tell me what y'all eat.
Pam T.
on 8/27/08 1:40 am - Saginaw, MI
Peg -

There's a post everyday on the Main OH Forum called "Eating Good in the Neighborhood" -- each day around dinnertime Charlie or someone posts the thread and you can respond with what you ate for each meal throughout the day. Not only is is a great place to be accountable for your food intake, but you can also get a TON of ideas for what others are eating.  Watch people's surgery days and notice who is eating what foods around the same post-op time that you are.  I get so many great ideas for recipes and food ideas from this thread.

I just checked my food logs and here's some of the foods I was eating around 6 weeks:

Breakfast:
Protein shake
Carb Master Yogurt (Kroger brand)
Cream of Wheat Cereal
Apple & Peanut Butter

Lunch / Dinner:
Tortilla Pizza (about 1/3 of one, it looks like)
Soups and Stews
Wendy's Chili
Cheesesticks
Pintos N Cheese from Taco Bell
Tuna salad (I think I started this right around 6-weeks)

Snacks:
Protein Shakes
Peanut Butter & a couple crackers
Dill Pickles (I was on a major pickle kick around this time - the tiny ones with no seeds)

Hope this helps,
Pam

My Recipe Index is packed full of yumminess!
Visit my blog: Journey to a Healthier Me  ...or my Website

The scale can measure the weight of my body but never my worth as a woman. ~Lysa TerKeurst author of Made to Crave

Pegryn
on 8/27/08 4:58 am - Destrehan, LA
Thank you so much for responding!  You have been a tremendous help.  I was afraid to eat, so I've been drinking most of my meals.  I'm going to follow your lead in food choices.  Thanks, again!
Pam T.
on 8/27/08 5:21 am - Saginaw, MI
Peg -

I honestly believe (and I've seen it happen with a lot of people I know) ... that if you start getting your pouch used to eating solid foods as early as you're allowed to, you'll have an easier time of it as you go along.  People I've seen who stick to soft, mushy foods or liquids for the first several months after surgery have a much more difficult time learning to eat dense foods later. 

I know one lady who drank 80g of protein per day through shakes and maybe 15-20g of protein from food.  And now that she's nearly a year out from surgery and been told to cut back on the shakes and get more protein from food and she simply can't do it because her pouch rejects the dense food.  Could she have trained her pouch to deal with the food if she'd been eating it from the beginning?  I don't know for sure, but my guess is Yes.

Good luck with  your experimentation.  The time between 6 weeks and 3 months was the hardest for me.  You really have to learn what "chew, chew, chew" means and learn how to eat all over again.  Take it slow and if you have a bad food day, just switch back to soft food or liquids for the rest of the day and try again tomorrow.  It definitely gets easier from here...

Pam

My Recipe Index is packed full of yumminess!
Visit my blog: Journey to a Healthier Me  ...or my Website

The scale can measure the weight of my body but never my worth as a woman. ~Lysa TerKeurst author of Made to Crave

Most Active