Anemia

jforten
on 8/23/08 12:02 am - Atoka, TN
Hi, my name is John and I had gastric bypass performed in June of '04 and have done well with everything until recently. Some blood tests showed my  iron was low so for two months I took iron supplements which brought my iron up to a normal range. However, my PCP says my Procrit was low and that I am anemic. A colonoscopy and endoscopy showed no bleeding anywhere in the GI tract. Does anyone have any experience with this issue and if so how did you handle it? For the record my procrit was 35.6 and the doc said normal range for a man is 39-56. I use chewable vitamins with iron. I have been feeling really puny and have had little energy. Thanks for any and all responses and info.
jaylynn
on 8/23/08 12:31 am
John,
I am only 3 months out.  The program I am in requires daily iron supplements for the rest of my life.  This is in addition to the multivitamins, calcium, B-12.  Yesterday the surgeon suggested I take 2 iron per day, until my 6 month check-up because my count was dropping a little bit.  I hope this gives you some thoughts and you will find *****!

dorastardd101
on 8/25/08 4:13 pm - tucson, AZ
hi john, i had gastric bypass sep of  '04, i was doing very good but i have gained a little weight, like 15 pounds so i went on a diet and now i have anemia so now im struggling with weight and the anemia im taking iron pills 2 a day i was feeling very weak with no energy at all. now im feeling a little better but im still scared to gain more weight. hope you feel better. 
Brenlud
on 8/30/08 12:25 am - Niagara Falls, NY
Hi, John. I had RNY 11/14/06. All my tests were always good, except or zinc always on the low end. Now I have gained 15lbs over the summer and my iron came back low. Started with iron maybe 2 mo's now. I went in, come Tuesday will be two weeks for an iron infusion. I have to have all nutrition up to par by Sept 9th because I have my TT on that day. I will be having new blood work done I think this Tuesday to see if the infusion took. I'm busting my butt now with exercise and lots of protein, because I need to be strong for surgery. So, I will let you know if this infusion worked. I was hooked up to an IV for like an hour. I hear some people have to have this done like twice in a month. Ask your doc. Good luck.
Most Active