Protein counts and calories

jaylynn
on 8/23/08 12:23 am
I had difficulty healing, so the NUT raised my protein requirements.  Yesterday, we were able to lower them to 85.  I am 3 months out and my blood work was good.  I am losing fat and not muscle, so they were pleased.  She calculated my calories and said I was higher than others at this point, but appropriate.  Okay...I'll get to the question--

HOW MANY CALORIES ARE YOU ALLOWED?  My NUT focuses on grams of protein, rather than calories, but I am interested in what others have been told. 

Pam T.
on 8/23/08 11:54 pm - Saginaw, MI
At my 3-month check up my nutritionist told me to increase my calories to 800-1000 per day with 60-80g protein. 

Since then she now refuses to tell me how many calories I should be eating.  She still recommends 60-80g protein but says calories aren't important (like I'd never be able to eat too many or something). 

I'm 9 months out now and have had to figure this stuff out on my own.  I average 1000-1200 calories per day with 100g protein. 

Good luck
Pam

My Recipe Index is packed full of yumminess!
Visit my blog: Journey to a Healthier Me  ...or my Website

The scale can measure the weight of my body but never my worth as a woman. ~Lysa TerKeurst author of Made to Crave

jaylynn
on 8/23/08 11:57 pm
Thank you so much.  My daily count has been between 1100-1200.  She told me I was taking in more calories than most at this time in the process, but it was not a concern of the NUT.  My exercising must be helping in someway.  Blessings on the journey. 

MelissaM39
on 8/25/08 1:18 am - MI
Hi there...we are a day apart in surgery dates.  I had mine on the 13th of May.  I average between 700-800 calories per day.  I walk/run about 4.5 miles 5 days a week also so a lot of that is burned off.  I do about 60 grams of protein.  My worry is the fat.  I don't know where I should be at with fat grams. I feel like I'm eating too much fat right now. 

Brenlud
on 8/30/08 12:41 am - Niagara Falls, NY
I never had to count calories. Always concentrate on PROTEIN. Get your 60-80g's of liquid supplement in every day, eat your protein at every meal first, then following your vegatables, then fruits are always last. Get your daily req'd water in, which you can include the fluid from your protein supplements and skim milk and or if you are one who is drinking decaf teas as well/ diet drinks. WORK OUT, WORK OUT....work it Girl! I began 1 mo out. I was in the gym 5 days a week, 2hrs a day. Cardio(tread mill, worked the waist off imed!) 1 hr, then, weights/nautilus & or classes 1hr(my boobs shrank real fast from weight training,carefull there!) I was at my goal weight in and around 8-9 mo's out. My lowest weight I got at was 138lbs. Today I'm 156lbs. I should be at 160lbs at a ht of 5'9" per doc and charts. I got back to that and wasn't comfortable at that weight. I felt good at 145-150lbs at that is my goal once again. Would like to get there prior to Sept 9th for my TT surgery. Good Luck, you will be great!
Karen H.
on 9/25/08 8:22 pm - Owensboro, KY
Okay, I feel really bad reading these posts because I don't feel like I have a handle on knowing my nutrional needs.
I had lap band surgery in February 2007.  I've lost 88 lbs and I have 90 more until I reach MY goal weight.
I seem to have stalled completely (for 2-3 months) in the weight loss.  I'm not gaining but the scales aren't moving.
I think I've just realized that I haven't been focusing on getting all of my protein requirements in.
I've become totally vegan.  I get my proteins from legumes (i.e. beans and hummus), cheese, and other dairy products.  Meat  just won't go down and I'm happy being a vegan.
Should I be drinking protein supplements too?
I just found a protein powder I love, but I can't seem to get in more that one serving a day (which is 34 grams of protein per drink). 
Do I really need 60-80 grams of protein a day?  Is this why I'm not losing anymore?

Most Active