i am sick of hearing try a new protien powder

sndr.smith2
on 8/22/08 4:41 am
i have tried all the protien drinks, powders etc.  i may be able to get it down once but not after.  i am so fed up with this.  Now just the smell of the powder makes me gag.  i can't get medicine down it all makes me gag..  i have thrush and they gave me medicine.  i took it 3 times and i don't know how many more times i can get this down.  i had surgery 07/28/2008.  how much protien should i be getting down.  i maybe on a good day get 15-20.  i am so upset with all this.  help me.

i am so tired of people saying keep trying don't they understand i have tried.  i can't get it down. 
Pam T.
on 8/22/08 11:48 am - Saginaw, MI
How many different protein powders have you actually tried?  There are thousands of different flavors / brands.  I had to try about 4 dozen different kinds until I found 2 or 3 that I liked enough to buy a whole jar of. 

If whey protein doesn't work.  Try soy.  Or egg protein powder.  Or rice powder.  Carnation Instand Breakfast is another option.  Even just drinking a couple glasses of milk will get you closer.

Your ultimate goal for protein intake is 60-80g per day.  During the first month or so we all struggle to reach the minimum... 40g/day is more realistic right now but within a few weeks you should be hitting 60g.

Here's the deal.  Protein is essential at this point.  It is your lifeline to health.  If you don't eat/drink protein your body gets it's needed protein from your muscle mass.  And remember that your heart is a muscle.  This is not something you can mess around with.  If you have to plug your nose and chug a shake, then that's what you need to do.  You don't have a choice in this anymore.  Treat protein as medicine if you must.

Protein plays a very important role right now.  Protein repairs damaged cells, heals wounds, creates new red blood cells, provides fuel for the muscle in our bodies, helps to grow hair and nails. 

There are a million recipes out there for protein shakes.  Sometimes altering the way you mix it will make it taste better.  Make it cold by blending it with ice or make it warm by mixing it with ho****er.  Add some sugar-free flavored syrups or spices. Try it with milk or water or crystal light. Protein ice cream is highly addicting and feels naughty (I have a dish every morning for breakfast).  the vanilla powder I use isn't all that great if I just mix it with milk or water plain... but as a base for a smoothie with fruit or flavorings, it's great.  Play around with different recipes to see what might work.

I have a list of online and local resources on my OH Profile for where to get samples of protein powder.  I started with the 21-flavor pack from www.enjoyhealth.com and added more as I was searching for what worked for me.

I am not trying to be insensitive or mean ... I absolutely understand about nausea and gagging.  We've all been there.  This part of the journey pretty much just sucks.  It's hard and not fun at all and it is too easy to just want to throw in the towel and give up.  But the reward is great and worth the struggle.

Good luck
Pam

My Recipe Index is packed full of yumminess!
Visit my blog: Journey to a Healthier Me  ...or my Website

The scale can measure the weight of my body but never my worth as a woman. ~Lysa TerKeurst author of Made to Crave

mystic
on 8/25/08 11:29 am - manchester, NJ
first, you need to take a deep breath.

if you are really having so many issues, you need to talk to your surgeons office and to a nutritionist.

its hard in the beginning to get in your requirements.  it takes time to drink all your fluids and get in all your protein needs.  it wont all happen at once.  each day should get a little better.

if you can go to vitamin shoppe or gnc.  they have tons of different protein drinks, sometimes they even have samples

it may take some time to find the right solution for you.  i drank lots of milk in the beginning because i had trouble finding a protein i could handle

then i found unjury, which you purchase online and i was able to tolerate that.

i also use the atkins drinks, maybe those would work for you.  EAS is also pretty palatable.

its trial and error sometims, till you find something that you and your body can tolerate

dont give up, just do what you can each day.

hugs, and good luck, jacki

Most Active