Caffiene!!!!

Fuzzywuzzy
on 8/21/08 5:14 am - tukwila, WA
OK..
I have to admit.. i've become Addicted to Coffie!! I LOVE IT..
now when i say coffe.. i'm really referring to a Latte mostly Skilm Milk with a double shot of espresso and sugar free Syrups to make it Star Bucks like..
NOW.. heres my nutritional question.. how does caffiene affect the body? I've heard that it acts like sugar and can prevent weight loss.. I'm wondering if i'm going to have to ween myself off of it in order to start loosing weight again. can you give me any insight into this?
thanks..
Fuzzy!

Brightest blessings! one day i'll be a muscle Bear!

Lisa G.
on 8/21/08 6:07 am - Des Moines, IA
well I just had my 2 yr follow up yesterday, and I don't consider myself addicted to caffiene, I have one cup of regualr coffee every morning, it just happens to be a 20 oz cup!  i had to meet with the Nut and she said hands down drop the caffiene NOW!  I have not been losing and she said this is why, caffiene acts as a appetite stimulant.  It is rough getting used to but it will benefit me in the end.  Good luck I love Starbucks! 

~Lisa
Pam T.
on 8/21/08 9:07 am - Saginaw, MI
I have a love-hate relationship with coffee.  I love drinking it (I also do the latte thing) and love the ritual of the coffeehouse.  But it seems that my body hates it. 

I have fallen back into the habit of my morning coffee stop on the way to work.  About 4oz steamed milk and 16oz coffee.  Normally I stick with decaf, but some days I want the kick of caffeine.  But on the caffeine days I end up in the bathroom for several unpleasant visits.   So why do I keep drinking it?  Because being constipated is even worse.  I need to stop.  But that's where the love-hate thing comes in, I guess. 

So why do we need to stop???

1. caffeine is a diuretic --- meaning it has dehydrating effects.  So if we struggle with drinking enough water, drinking caffeine just undermines our efforts. 

2. yes, I've heard coffee is an appetite stimulant

3. coffee is acidic.  That's why the coffee makers came up with the "sensitive stomach' version.  It is tough on normal stomachs that have gastric acid to combat it, but our pouches don't have the same defenses.

4.  this is the big one...  caffeine interfers with calcium absorption.   It acts in a similar way as iron in relation to calcium.  we already malabsorb calcium, so why do we want to magnify this deficit

Ok.... talked myself right into quitting.  If I need a coffee fix, I'm going to do decaf.  No more full-blown-caffeine. 

Sounds like we need a coffee support group, huh?
Pam

My Recipe Index is packed full of yumminess!
Visit my blog: Journey to a Healthier Me  ...or my Website

The scale can measure the weight of my body but never my worth as a woman. ~Lysa TerKeurst author of Made to Crave

Fiebiger
on 9/4/08 6:52 am
This is exactly what I was looking for!!!!! I am 28 months out from RNY and DID hit my goal weight. I started at 265 and Got down to 147. My goal weight was 150, I’m 5’7.   I have since adopted a STARBUCKS addiction…….. A BAD ONE! Not only do I get the Venti toffee nut latte WITH whip, but I get it EVERY DAY…. =(  I started to feel a bit of guilt so my big solution was getting skim milk………then I went to the skim milk and no whip.   Since January I have now gained about 10+ pounds and all of my cloths are feeling a bit snug or just don’t fit at all…….Im freaking out trying to figure out WTH im doing different, I know for one my exercise has taken the back burner, and I have started walking again, but it never occurred to me that the caffeine was doing it!    As of today……….Caffeine and I are breaking up!    THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! I will keep you posted on if this helps me kick start the weight loss again!  
Most Active