Help confused with the vitamins?

janice2007
on 8/21/08 12:07 pm - clarksville, TN
I thought I had it but now I am confused.

Im having the RNY-- I understand that B12 will need to be taken sublingualy or by shot because of not being absorbed in the intestine.
--But now I found out also that
   A   E   and K

Are we suppose to get shots for those???  I there a right way to take these?

Thanks

Pam T.
on 8/21/08 12:25 pm - Saginaw, MI
Vitamins A, D, E, K are all fat soluble vitamins and are more difficult to aborb after being bypassed.  Some RNY'ers need to take additional individual fat soluble vitamins, but not everyone needs it.   We don't do shots for those vitamins... but "dry" formulas work best for us.  Dry simply means pills that are made of a powder instead of  an oil based soltion in a gel cap.  But the addition of these are only determined after you have your labs done to see if it's needed after surgery.

Check out this article about bariatric supplementation and nutrition.  It will give you a better understanding of what all you will need.
http://download.journals.elsevierhealth.com/pdfs/journals/1550-7289/PIIS1550728908001639.pdf

My Recipe Index is packed full of yumminess!
Visit my blog: Journey to a Healthier Me  ...or my Website

The scale can measure the weight of my body but never my worth as a woman. ~Lysa TerKeurst author of Made to Crave

(deactivated member)
on 10/27/08 6:23 am
Not neccesarily, from my little knowledge of all this there are multi vitamins out there that have all that. The only ones that I know off is the bariatric advantage ones.  Hope this helps, trust me I am still learnig as well.

Most Active