Chewables vs Non-Chewables

Patricia_T
on 8/19/08 6:10 am - Kleefeld, Canada
I'm almost 7 months out and have discovered I can swallow non-chewable vitamins and calcium without a problem. 
Should I still be taking the chewables anyway for better absorption?
Should I be concerned that I CAN swallow them without a problem?  Have I stretched something or damaged something?
Thanks,
Patricia
Pam T.
on 8/19/08 12:41 pm - Saginaw, MI
you should be able to swallow pills without a problem.  Nothing is stretched.  They didn't do any part of the surgery from your throat into the top of your pouch and the opening they created at the bottom of the pouch (The Stoma) is about the diameter of a woman's index finger.  So pills are fine.

HOWEVER ... are they as effective?  I don't know. 

Personally I feel more comfortable staying with the chewable vitamins and calcium because I know 100% sure that the pill is broken up and mixed with saliva (digestive enzymes) before it even hits the pouch.  If you swallow a whole pill it first has to dissolve in the pouch -- or if you take it with water, it's probably washed straight through to the intestines.  How long does it take that pill to dissolve?  Even if it's less than 30 minutes, how far down the digestive tract has that pill traveled and will it stay in my body long enough to release all it's nutrients before it hits the large intestine where very little absorption takes place? 

I don't know any of those things for sure and haven't been able to find any scientific evidence of one being better than another for WLS folks.  But my logical brain tells me that chewables are best for me and my peace of mind.

Pam

My Recipe Index is packed full of yumminess!
Visit my blog: Journey to a Healthier Me  ...or my Website

The scale can measure the weight of my body but never my worth as a woman. ~Lysa TerKeurst author of Made to Crave

cschoen
on 8/20/08 11:24 am - NJ
Pam, what chewable multi-vitamin do you use?  Do you take a supplemental iron?  If so, is that chewable too?  Thanks.

Cyndi

Cyndi, Leader, OH Groups,
Northern NJ Stalwarts
and (the slow-growing) Keeping It Kosher After WLS

"I want my unwarranted optimism back!" Dilbert

Pam T.
on 8/20/08 11:28 am - Saginaw, MI
Hi Cyndi:

I use Centrum Adult Chewables for my multi and I don't take additional iron.  My labs are showing that my iron is actually increasing just from what's in the multi -- but I'm not menstrating (Depo Provera) so I'm sure that has something to do with it too.

I did extensive research comparing multi-vitamins before I settled on centrum.  I posted my spreadsheet on my blog if you want to take a peek
http://pamtremble.blogspot.com/2008/01/mulit-vitamin-comparison.html

Pam

My Recipe Index is packed full of yumminess!
Visit my blog: Journey to a Healthier Me  ...or my Website

The scale can measure the weight of my body but never my worth as a woman. ~Lysa TerKeurst author of Made to Crave

Patricia_T
on 8/20/08 1:01 pm - Kleefeld, Canada
Thanks Pam.  That's what I suspect as well.  I'll be going back to chewables asap.  Patricia
(deactivated member)
on 10/28/08 6:53 am
From my understanding chewables are always better the reason being is its somewhat already broken down before your body tries to do it.  I know that with capsules I do see that you would have to take alot more before you can get the same amount you would in a chewable. 
Most Active