Hypoglycemia Help...Need High protein, Low carb Ideas

Felicia H.
on 8/19/08 2:17 am - vancouver, WA
I was just diagnosed with Hypoglycemia (low blood sugar). My favorite protein bar has too many carbs, so now I am on the hunt for new ideas. Could also use some recomendations for other foods too!

DawnVA
on 8/20/08 10:06 am - VA
Felicia -- My favorite bars are Lunas, but in all fairness they aren't really a protein bar, darnit!  :)  They have at least 12 and sometimes more grams of sugar and 25+ of carbs.  Pure Protein makes a pretty decent protein bar that's about 20+ grams of protein, I think about 5 grams of sugar and I believe low in carbs as well.  You can find them in Target.  Also, try South Beach Diet meals, wraps, etc and recipes if you're looking for more than snacks.  Good luck!       Dawn
DawnVA
on 8/22/08 10:41 am - VA
Felicia -- I checked the Pure Protein wrapper just to be sure and they are a bit high in carbs.  The caramel one has about 17 grams.  So even though they're high in protein, they may not work (I'm trying to cut carbs so I'm not going to be using those anymore).  You might just look at every bar you can find in Target, GNC (bariatric web sites are usually pretty good), anywhere -- and just try them.  Even if the counts are perfect, you may hate the taste, so it will take some trial and error.  Good luck!  :)
Felicia H.
on 8/22/08 10:55 am - vancouver, WA
Thanks Dawn! I went ahead and got several different types. I am also trying a diabetic one. I can only test out a new food on the weekend (when hubby is home) incase I have a bad reaction. It's very scary to crash when I am home with my kids (7mo old & 2.5yr old).
Sheron
on 8/25/08 8:09 am
I don't normally post on this board, but I was visiting and noticed your post.  Gastric-bypass patients can be plagued with reactive hypoglycemia.  I have issues with this.  You need to make sure you always have a small container of peanuts or almonds in your purse.  I haven't had any problems with protein bars.  If you eat 5-6 smaller meals a day and mix your protein with a carb, you will find your sugar is much more stablized.  I tend to have issues if I have eaten sugar and then nothing.  Blech...what a treat-shakes, sweats and that out of body experience.  You may want to visit a larger supplier of bars, such as a GNC or Vitamin World, if they these stores in your area.  This will allow you to quickly compare the carbs in each bar.  Good luck.
Most Active