Sugar subsitutes

Heather B.
on 8/14/08 12:36 pm - Hunstville, AL
What can be used as subsitutes after RNY surgery?  Splenda, stevia, honey, anything?  I haven't had surgery yet, but I want to be prepared for cooking afterwards.
Never, Never, Never give up! -Winston Churchill
HW: 341/PreOp: 326/Current: 312/Goal: 150

K B (Tucson)
on 8/14/08 1:12 pm - Tucson, AZ

Not honey - it is sugar.  Try any no calorie sweener. I use splenda and have never tried stevia, but hear it is great.

(deactivated member)
on 8/14/08 10:12 pm - Cleveland Heights, OH
You should be able to use any non-calorie sweeteners after surgery, unless you have allergies or other sensititives.  I'm a Splenda girl myself...  You can find some good recipes at Splenda's website.

Kellie
DawnVA
on 8/20/08 10:16 am - VA
Any no-calorie sweetener will work, no honey (that's sugar).  But you may find that you can no longer tolerate or just don't like the taste of certain things anymore.  Lots of companies replace sugar with sugar alcohols.  This takes the real sugar and calories out of stuff, but my pouch can't handle more than a couple bites -- no idea why really, just the way surgey changes us.  I'm a big fan of Splenda and they just came out with a new one that has one gram of fiber in each packet.  Every little bit helps!  Best wishes to ya!

Dawn
Most Active