Eating & gaining post-op

Grace loves cats
on 8/13/08 6:37 pm, edited 8/13/08 6:40 pm - CA
I am 4 1/2 years post-op, got to 128 lbs & was underweight, and told to gain.
My goal was 150, and was perfect for me.  I now am able to eat a lot more then I probably should and am gaining.  I am 175 and my clothes aren't fitting.
I do not eat as good as I know I should.  I don't want to be a RNY failure.
I am not exercising because of 2 car accidents.  I don't eat much sugar, but eat a lot of other stuff.  Do I need to be checked by my surgeon?  I am also badly addicted to Diet Pepsi.  HELP!

Grace

(deactivated member)
on 8/13/08 10:29 pm - Cleveland Heights, OH
I think you've identified your issue -- "I do not eat as good as I know I should" and "I don't eat much sugar, but eat a lot of other stuff."  I'd encourage you to start using a food journal to track exactly what your eating, how many carbs, fats, and proteins.  Then once you have a baseline for what you're doing today, look for areas where you can make small, sustainable changes.  It's all about finding a balance that you can maintain on a long-term basis.  If you need more detailed suggestions, I'd encourage you to talk to a dietician or nutritionist who can help you develop a plan of attack...

Good luck on your continuing journey. 

Kellie
Pam T.
on 8/14/08 1:00 am - Saginaw, MI
Hi Grace.

I'd suggest meeting with your surgeon's office and having them check you out.  Just make sure that your pouch and stoma are all still in working order (an Upper GI will show that).  Also make sure you've recently had your labs drawn so you know you're not battling a deficiency or something else that might be causing weight gain.  Also meet with your nutritionist to make sure you ahve the most current "plan" -- a lot has changed in 4.5 years and they may have new standards that you need to be following. 

But it sounds like you already know what you need to be doing, so you can start right away before you meet with your WLS team.  

* Eat protein first -- 60-80g/day
* Limit simple carbs and focus on complex carbs instead (fruits, veggies, whole grains)
* Focus on good fats that are heart healthy 
* No drinking with meals or for 30-60 minutes after
* Cut out the soda and replace it with water
*  Track every morsel of food that passes your lips so you know exactly how many calories you're eating
* Exercise.  Even with injuries, there are workouts you can do to break a sweat, find what works for you and do it religiously.

Work on changing 1 or 2 things at a time, make them a habit (takes 21 days to create a new habit).  Then once those 1 or 2 things are ingrained in your routine, add another 1 or 2 things.  Take it slow and stay focused on the goal.  And don't forget to reward yourself along the way for the hard work you're putting in (non-food rewards, of course).

You CAN make this work.  It's going to take a lot of hard work and a renewed committment.  But you can do it!

Pam

My Recipe Index is packed full of yumminess!
Visit my blog: Journey to a Healthier Me  ...or my Website

The scale can measure the weight of my body but never my worth as a woman. ~Lysa TerKeurst author of Made to Crave

Most Active