Is it ever going to stop?! xpost

Barbara C.
on 8/12/08 3:44 am - Raleigh, NC

I got on the scale today and saw a number I never thought I'd see ... 136. I'm now lower than what my surgeon considers to be my 'ideal' weight. I'm honestly trying to maintain my weight, but I'm finding it hard. I never thought that I'd have to 'fight' to keep my weight up. I know it's not dangerously low by any stretch of the imagination, but I really don't like the result of my current weight. Even I think I'm getting too thin. My face is sagging now, not to mention just about every other bodypart ... neck, chest, abs, legs, arms, butt.

I know that when you are at the other end of this journey, this probably sounds like whining ... maybe it is, but I want the WEIGHT LOSS to STOP! I've increased my caloric intake to 1800 - 2000 calories a day and I honestly can't see how I can get in much more than that. My protien/carb/fat intake is percentage distribution is approximately 30/40/30. I'm frustrated and I don't know what to do. 

Barb

Barbara
ObesityHelp Coach and Support Group Leader
http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/bcumbo_group/
High-264, Current-148, Goal-145

(deactivated member)
on 8/12/08 10:58 pm - Cleveland Heights, OH

A couple suggestions.  First, if you haven't already done so talk with a dietician or nutritionist.  They may be able to help you figure out a good balance of more calorie and nutrient dense foods. 

Second, look at little ways you can add good calories to your day.  Add regular healthy "snacks".  Look for more calorie dense foods - nuts are a great source of calories and some offer omega-3 fatty acids as well (almonds and walnuts).  The key is finding a way to add more calories in a way that doesn't stretch your pouch or make you uncomfortable. 

You may also want to reevaluate your protein/carb/fat ratio.  I use a protein/carb/fat ratio of 25/50/25, but I also exercise a lot so am maintaining on these ratios. 

Good luck on your continuing journey -

Kellie

Barbara C.
on 8/13/08 1:47 am - Raleigh, NC

Hi Kellie,

Thanks so much for your response. It's the type of information I was hoping to get when I posted this thread. I have been in touch with my Dr and Nut. I do add almonds, walnuts, etc... But, I'll look at reworking the protien, carb, fat ratios ... maybe that will help.

Thanks again,

Barb

Barbara

(deactivated member)
on 8/13/08 5:22 am - Cleveland Heights, OH

I can't say for certain whether changing the ratio will help, but it's worth trying.  One of the things about eating a higher ratio of protein is that it takes our body more energy to convert protein into usable energy.  The concept is called diet-induced thermogenesis; I couldn't find a good website that describes it, but the general idea is that when we eat protein, our bodies uses 20-30% of the energry from that protein to break it down into usable components.  It takes our body much less energy (perhaps less than 5-10%, but I don't know an exact number) to convert carbohydrates and fat to energy.  So if you eat more protein, your body uses more energy (calories) to process that protein.  Eat more carbs/fats and less protein, your body uses less energy to process those carbs/fats.  I don't know if the difference is significant enough to affect most folks, but perhaps it'll be enough to help you stop losing. 

Good luck on your continuing journey -

Kellie

Barbara C.
on 8/13/08 10:40 am - Raleigh, NC

Kellie,

Thanks again! I truly appreciate your thoughtful responses. It's just the type of thing I was hoping to find with my posts.

Barb

Barbara

Most Active