Debating Lapband vs. Bypass

frazzledmomof2
on 8/8/08 5:34 am - Old Bridge, NJ
Hello all.  This is my very first post and I need any help I can get.  Let me first start off by saying that I have my surgery date set for 8/20/08 for the lapband procedure.  But after meeting with the surgeon today she brought up the idea of the bypass since by BMI is in the high 40's and I have alot of weight to lose.  The reason for chosing the band is the fact that it can be removed if necessary (is really the only main reason) and nothing was being rerouted.  But after speaking with surgeon and looking into bypass a little further, the weight loss seems to be better and you still need to eat healthy regardless.  I would love to hear of all your experiences and any advice would be greatly appreciated.
monky
on 8/9/08 3:23 am - Alexandria, VA
RNY on 02/20/08 with
I think that both options are good, but I am partial to the bypass.  My BMI was under 40 and I was encouraged to have the lapband.  I just didn't feel comfortable with that decision.  I knew that I wanted to bypass.  I had heard of some having slippage (in fact 2 people that were in my surgeon's office one day had both had the band slip) and that sort of solidified my decision.

I was in relatively good health and was strong.  I opted for the bypass because I knew that my weakness was sweets.  I also knew that I was in good health and would most likely not have difficulties with the surgery.  I am sooooo glad I chose the bypass.  Everything has been absolutely perfect.  Recovery was similar to that of a c-section.  I have changed my lifestyle and I feel that if I had chosen to get the band I would have regrets.  No regrets with the bypass. 

Just my opinion.  Good luck with whatever surgery you decide.  It sounds like you have the right mindset and a positive attitude.
frazzledmomof2
on 8/9/08 3:33 am - Old Bridge, NJ
Thank you so much for your response.  I think I am strong with my new decision to have the bypass.  The main reasons I chose the band at first was due to the fact that it was temporary and I assumed that bypass required a full abdominal incision.  So I never read up on the bypass procedure.  But the last 24hrs I have absorbed so much information on the bypass and have spoke to many people who have already have gone through it and realized that the life style after the WLS is the same you are limited to the amount of food you can eat and have to eat slowly etc.  But  with the band you can cheat if you want and in a moments of weakness I can see myself doing that.  I am still doing alot of reading on the bypass and will give my decision to dr. by Monday.  Thanks again.

Nancy
suzy405
on 8/10/08 12:35 am
I went to my surgeon inquring about the lap band because it was less invasive and could be removed if necessary. About 4 months ago I attended a support group and started talking to post-op patients. One of the secretaries at the surgon's office also had a RNY and talked very highly of it. I did my own research and I really cleared a lot of misconceptions of the RNY procedure. I have decided since then that I am aready going to have a surgery (will have my date in 2 days!!) and I am comfortable with my decision for the RNY. I work with some post op patients so I have seen some nasty complications, since considering the RNY, I ask the patients why there were problems, almost all were related to the actual procedure (rerouting lower in the small inntestine) or post op complications frequently due to non-compliance. I also went to the local library and took out all the books I could on weight loss surgery and really learned things that helped me make my decision and be comfortable with it. I wich you luck on your journey and hope tot be about a week behind you in procedure date!!
Sue
Rubbernut
on 8/14/08 3:50 am - KY
While you are working on your research, I would encourage you to review the VSG procedure.  I was torn between WLS would work for me and I decided on the VSG.  It is kinda the best of both worlds.  The weight loss is very comparable to the RNY but there is not any rerouting.  There is noting to slip and not fills/unfills like with the band.  I had mine on 08-04-08 and so far it has been wonderul and I am thankful the seminars I attended made the procedure known to me.  The only drawback is it is hard to get insurance to cover it.  I was a self pay so my options were not limited by insurance.

Robin
Most Active