Question for Dietition/Nutritionist

BillieC
on 8/5/08 4:34 am - Laurens, SC
I am about 3 weeks post op with RNY.  How can I locate a qualified professional dietition/nutritionist (and what's the difference?) in my area?

I can make appointments with the ones at the hospital but their hours aren't convenient for me.  I've tried searching the yellow pages but no luck.  I know there must be someone within a reasonable distance of me.  Is there a database or something somewhere?

Thanks for any help you can offer!

WARNING:  I am almost always trying (and not always succeeding) to be funny.  Don't take it the wrong way, please!

Pam T.
on 8/5/08 6:00 am - Saginaw, MI
OH has a database of dieticians / nutritionist here on it's website:
http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/SC/a,doclisting/type,46/

If I understand it correctly, the people listed there have paid a fee to be a "member" and have their name on the list.  So obviously this is not an exhaustive list. 

You could also do a Google search for dieticians' in South Carolina who specialize in bariatric patients.  Here's a website I found in a quick search: http://www.dietitiancentral.com/index.cfm

OR - call and ask your surgeon's office if they can recommend someone with more flexible hours.  Or call your insurance company and ask for a list of approved clinics who take your coverage.

Good luck
Pam

My Recipe Index is packed full of yumminess!
Visit my blog: Journey to a Healthier Me  ...or my Website

The scale can measure the weight of my body but never my worth as a woman. ~Lysa TerKeurst author of Made to Crave

BillieC
on 8/5/08 9:16 am - Laurens, SC
Thanks Pam!  The help is much appreciated!

WARNING:  I am almost always trying (and not always succeeding) to be funny.  Don't take it the wrong way, please!

sarard
on 8/5/08 10:34 am - Costa Mesa, CA
 You can search the American Dietetic Association website at: www.eatright.org.  Look at the top left corner of this website: find a: other professional.  

A dietitian has  a license to practice.  They have taken state & national board exams and have become a Registered Dietitian.  They should have the letters RD behind their name.  They have (at least) a bachelor's degree.  They can treat diseases (with diet) like diabetes, hypertension, obesity, etc.  

A nutritionist is not licensed.  They have not taken state or national exams and can not treat disease.  They can give you information and guidance on a general, healthy diet.    

Whether you choose to see a dietitian or a nutritionist, make sure they have experience with gastric bypass before making an appointment. 

Good luck. 

Sara Nejat-Bina, RD, CNSD, CDE
Registered Dietitian
BillieC
on 8/6/08 5:10 am - Laurens, SC
Thanks so much, Sara!  I tried all Pam's ideas and there weren't any options for me there.  I did find a couple of options at the ADA website.  The information is much appreciated as well.  I had been to a nutritionist before and I thought she must be sort of a "free lancer" because she looked at my eyeballs and told me what I need to eat by looking at dark spots on my irises. 

Most Active