Ask a dietician-how many calories after gastric bypass?

youwantgeek
on 8/4/08 7:46 am
Hello there!  I had RNY laporoscopically on 3/28/08 which puts me out 18 weeks.  I am at the point now where I am able to eat a lot more than in the beginning, but I obviously don't want to over-do it or increase my intake too much.  I am wondering what a normal caloric intake is for a person a little over 4 months post-op?  I would like to track my calories just so I know I am staying on target.  If you have any other suggestions for tracking my food, I would love to hear those ideas as well.  I just want to develop an eating plan that I can follow now that I'm not so restricted physically.  Thanks so much!
Pam T.
on 8/5/08 12:39 am - Saginaw, MI
Hiya!

This forum is no longer staffed by a dietician or nutritionist ... it's just us.  :-)

Each program is different, obviously, so you  might be best off asking this question of your own nutritionist to see where they want you. 

According to my own program .... at 3 months out I was told to increase my daily calories to 800-1000 per day and still stay within the range of 60g-80g protein per day.  At my 6 month check up my nutritionist refused to give me a calorie range, so I had to figure it out on my own.  Now, at 8.5 months out I'm average about 1000-1200 calories/day and 100g protein/day.  I do workout a lot (training for a half-marathon), so some days I eat a bit more than others - especially in the carb category if I have a long training day.

I think our main goal needs to be portion size and protein levels.  Make sure you continue to measure/weigh your food so you don't overeat and make sure you are eating on a regular schedule so you don't fall into a habit of grazing or missing meals.

I use www.fitday.com to track my food intake.  I've used it since just after surgery and love how easy it is.  Others might recommend The Daily Plate, Sparkpeople or any number of other websites.

Pam

My Recipe Index is packed full of yumminess!
Visit my blog: Journey to a Healthier Me  ...or my Website

The scale can measure the weight of my body but never my worth as a woman. ~Lysa TerKeurst author of Made to Crave

youwantgeek
on 8/6/08 1:44 am
Thanks Pam!  I haven't seem my nutritionist for a while and I am now 4 months post-op.  I am capable of eating a lot more I just wanted to kind of have some guidelines for myself and you've definitely helped me determine where I need to be.  I have been sticking to around 700-900 calories a day because that seems to be sufficient but I recently increased my workouts so I was considering going a little bit higher. 

Thanks for your advice!  I see your responses to a lot of posts here and you give really good informmation to people....we appreciate it!
sem51
on 8/13/08 2:37 pm - Larned, KS
Hambear
on 8/5/08 8:17 pm - Millsboro, DE
I am over 3 years out and the Dr. wouldn't give me a calorie range either. I went to a seminar Saturday with a friend and the Dr. was saying he expects his patients to eat. He said to eat protein, veg. , only 2 pieces of fruit a day and before 3p.m. and a little Jasmine rice or sweet potatoe. No watermelon or bananas. He said if you eat your protein first. You will be full and will have no need to count calories. He really enficised the fruit issue. He said if you tell a patient to eat fruits and vegetables they eat all fruit. He said no one eats an abundance of veg. I would stick around 1200 calories but all needs are different. See you lighter. Joanne
youwantgeek
on 8/6/08 1:45 am
Thank you for that information!  I can see the value in limiting fruits and only eating them before 3PM.  I will definitely heed this advice.  Thanks for your help!!!
Hambear
on 8/6/08 8:25 pm - Millsboro, DE
I asked today why no fruit after 3 p.m. and was told because the body doesn't have time to process the sugar if eaten after 3 p.m. Makes sence to me. See you lighter. Joanne
DawnVA
on 8/11/08 6:33 am, edited 8/11/08 6:33 am - VA
This one baffles me.  Doesn't have time before what?  The body processes food constantly, it doesn't know that it's 3:00.  :)   I agree tha****ermelon shouldn't be the only fruit you eat because it has a high NATURAL sugar content.  But the sugar in watermelon is natural, not the same as the sugar in, say, a candy bar.  I would ask the doctor to clarify -- this one doesn't make sense to me and I'd keep eating watermelon...and any other fruit I wanted.  :)

blueyes711
on 8/7/08 2:21 pm - Chesterfield, MO
As I read this, I am eating watermelon. 
WHY is that prohibited?

Thanks
Phyllis
Hambear
on 8/8/08 1:20 pm - Millsboro, DE
Phyllis, Just because of the sugar content. Each Dr. is different. Your Dr. may say it's ok. See you lighter. Joanne
Most Active