The Salad Debate

chels82
on 8/4/08 6:55 am - Fresno, CA
So when I first had surgery, I was told to stay away from green salads as the lettuce was basically just filler.  However, at 3 years post-op, I've put on about 10lbs and I'd like to get it off.  Also, in the summer, sometimes only a salad sounds appetizing.  Has anyone had problems with salads not giving them enough nutrition? 
(deactivated member)
on 8/4/08 10:37 pm - Cleveland Heights, OH
I eat salads regularly and have not had any problems w/ insufficient nutrition.  I usually eat a salad w/ a protein - grilled chicken, lean steak, or leaner deli meats (turkey, ham, etc.) - and find it very satisfying and filling.  I say go for it -

Kellie
Pam T.
on 8/5/08 12:45 am - Saginaw, MI

Lettuce is just filler?  What about the fiber, Vitamins A, C and K, folate and B Vitamins contained in gree leafy lettuces?  I can see that being said about iceburg lettuce, but romaine, leaf lettuce or mixed spring greens contain a high level of nutrients that we need in our diets. 

I was cleared to eat salad at 3-months post-op.  It took my pouch a few weeks to accept my desire of salad, but now that I'm 8.5 months out I eat a salad almost every single day!  Add some cubed grilled chicken, some blueberries and sunflower seeds and it's a delicious and super nutritious meal.  Because lettuce is mostly water once it's chewed down to nothing, I can put away a lot of salad.  I'd guess about 3 cups of greens/toppings easily.  

I can't imaging going 3 years without salad.  How tragic.  Go eat a salad girl... you're making me sad!  :-)

Pam

My Recipe Index is packed full of yumminess!
Visit my blog: Journey to a Healthier Me  ...or my Website

The scale can measure the weight of my body but never my worth as a woman. ~Lysa TerKeurst author of Made to Crave

msmajakal
on 8/8/08 9:09 am - Harrisonburg, VA
I am 3 months post op and live off of salads with a lean protein.  My doctor told me to avoid lettuce and raw vegetables at first but after a month I was given the all clear.  Go for it.
Mommy O.
on 8/9/08 8:22 pm
I think that idea that salad is just filler is more for the newly post ops *****ALLY need to focus on protein as much as possible since they can't eat very much ..

mystic
on 8/11/08 7:05 pm - manchester, NJ
i eat salads most days for lunch, its quick at work.
however, i always make sure that my salad includes, cheese or meat, tuna or egg salad, grilled chicken for example.

i eat the protein first, then finish the salad.  so far its working for me.

good luck, jacki

Most Active