Pre-op Liquid diet

eyenjeff
on 8/3/08 3:06 pm - Mt Prospect, IL

Hi!

I started my 10 day liquid pre op diet on Friday.  Basically it consists of liquids like broth, SF jello, Clear Juices, crystal light, propel etc...and small servings of cottage cheese and yogurt.  I also have to drink to high protein shakes that I bought from my Surgeons for the 8 days leading up to surgery.

I know the purpose of the diet is to shrink your liver to make it easier for your surgeon to perform the bypass laproscopically. 

I also know that it is good discipline for what is to come after the surgery.  But from what I have read, you dont FEEL like eating after the surgery.  Alot of people have posted that they find it hard to get in the liquid and protein they should post op.

So my question is if the purpose of the diet is to deplete your glugagen stores, then why cant we have more protein during this pre op week?

I find it so hard to make it thru the day on only liquids.  I end up with a headache, pounding headache! I know people say that after about the 3rd day, which is today, it should get better.  I plan on spedning time with my kids at the pool this week, which requires alot of energy.  I am also a diabetic on meds and insulin.  How am I going to make it thru the week on only liquids and still be able to have any energy to take care of my kids?

If anyone has any ideas or suggestions I would really appreciate it!

EILEEN

Shelley L.
on 8/3/08 8:24 pm - overland park, KS
I wish I could help you, but I too was wondering the same thing?!?!  My surgeon recommends 2 weeks of liquds and they only allow you to have water and protein shakes mixed with water, no broth, no jello, no NOTHING for 2 weeks!!!

I have no IDEA how I'm going to cope, I imagine I will feel like complete crap!  And I still have to work during those 2 weeks and I work 60 hours/week. 

I'm looking forward to surgery but have no idea how I will cope with this. 
eyenjeff
on 8/4/08 3:14 am - Mt Prospect, IL

HI!

Oh my, I guess I should not complain then!   Good luck on your surgery and the pre op diet!

EILEEN

Pam T.
on 8/4/08 1:10 am - Saginaw, MI
I was on 2 weeks of liquids before surgery.  I had 3 protein shakes per day plus two servings of 8oz of broth/strained soup meals.  Plus all the clear, non-calorie liquids I wanted throughout the day.  This provided me with plenty of nutrition.

The first 4 days were brutal.  But after I turned the corner after day 4, my energy level was a bit better and the hunger wasn't quite as horrible. 

After 24 months of straight dieting and being very strict with my eating -- and not losing a single pound.  I was thrilled to lose 15 pounds on the liquid diet before my surgery.  I think it also helped me break those carb and sugar cravings well before surgery so I didn't have to deal with that post-op too. 

This is the hard part... after surgery it isn't quite as bad.  You'll be feeling better very soon.

Pam

My Recipe Index is packed full of yumminess!
Visit my blog: Journey to a Healthier Me  ...or my Website

The scale can measure the weight of my body but never my worth as a woman. ~Lysa TerKeurst author of Made to Crave

MadameJoy
on 8/4/08 6:04 am - Jamestown, CA
Well, I start my pre-op diet tomorrow...AGHHHHH!! But I am allowed 2 protein drinks, 4oz friut  4 oz meat, fish or egg and 4oz vegetables. Plus all the liquid I can force into me.  I will not complain!!
Hang in there, it will get easier (I hope :-D)

HUGS
JOY
Most Active