am I gaining from to much protein?

pennisweet
on 8/1/08 10:02 pm - Windsor, MO
About a month ago I was feeling very out of control with my eating so I sort of went back to basics.  I started counting and writing down my calorie intake and started drinking my protein shake in the morning.  I get way more protein now than I have for along time.  My question...... will the scale show me gaining weight from the protein because I am building muscle from the protein or am I doing something else wrong?  Any advice would be appreciated.  Should I not eat so much protein?  Sometimes I get over 100 grams per day.  Thanks and God bless, Penni
Pam T.
on 8/3/08 2:43 am - Saginaw, MI
I have been eating about 100g of protein/day since I was about 4 months out from surgery.  I'm 8.5 months now and still losing steadily.

You do not gain muscle from eating protein.  The only way to gain muscle is through exercise - weight bearing exercise.  when you do strength training you are tearing the muscle fibers... then the protein you eat helps to repair the torn muscle and you gain added muscle/tone/strength.  So if you're doing weight training then yes, you could be adding gaining muscle -- but not by simply eating more protein.

The best way to lose fat is through cardio exercise (walking, cycling, swimming).  You also need to find a balance with your calories .. enough to nourish your body but not so little that your body is in starvation mode and holding on to weight for survival. 

Of course if you're eating too many calories it doesn't matter what you're eating (protein, carbs, fat) -- too many calories will always result in weight gain and always as stored fat. 

Pam

My Recipe Index is packed full of yumminess!
Visit my blog: Journey to a Healthier Me  ...or my Website

The scale can measure the weight of my body but never my worth as a woman. ~Lysa TerKeurst author of Made to Crave

Most Active