Vitamin D ???

wildrose021
on 7/29/08 3:28 pm - MN
I'm so confused, I just got my test back from my surgeon and my
vitamin D 25-hydroxy (which they normally test) was still very low.
but my vitamin D 25-Dihydroxy was very high, so the nurse didnt know
if she should put me on vitamin D supplements or not. Should I get
retested?
Pam T.
on 7/29/08 11:47 pm, edited 7/29/08 11:47 pm - Saginaw, MI

Labs have started testing both forms of Vitamin D lately.  This helps medical folks identify exactly what your body is doing in regards to Vitamin D -- both supplements and naturally produced D.  From the information I found on www.labtestsonline.org it looks like you need to get on a Vitamin D supplement.  But also you need to have your Parathryoid (PTH) levels checked.  If your Vitamin D is low and PTH is high, it means that your body is leaching calcium from your bones and beginning the process of creating osteoporosis. 

Vitamin D 25-hydroxy is Vitamin D2 --- the form of vitamin D is most supplements and food sources.  The body must then convert Vitamin D2 to Vitamin D3 to be used within the body's cells.

Low blood levels of 25 hydroxy Vitamin D may mean that you are not getting enough exposure to sunlight or enough dietary vitamin D to meet your body’s demand or that there is a problem with its absorption from the intestines. Occasionally, drugs used to treat seizures, particularly phenytoin (Dilantin), can interfere with the production of 25 OH Vitamin D in the liver.

High levels of 25 hydroxy Vitamin D usually reflect excess supplementation from vitamin pills or other nutritional supplements.

Vitamin D 25-diHydroxy is Vitamin D3 --- this is the form of Vitamin D that your body created on it's own from exposure to sunlight.  It also includes the D3 levels that have been converted in your body from your supplements/food sources of Vitamin D.

Low levels of 1,25 di OH Vitamin D can be seen in kidney disease and are one of the earliest changes to occur in persons with early kidney failure.

High levels of 1,25 di OH Vitamin D may occur when there is excess parathryoid hormone or when there are diseases, such as sarcoidosis or some lymphomas, that can make 1,25 di OH Vitamin D outside of the kidneys.

My Recipe Index is packed full of yumminess!
Visit my blog: Journey to a Healthier Me  ...or my Website

The scale can measure the weight of my body but never my worth as a woman. ~Lysa TerKeurst author of Made to Crave

wildrose021
on 7/30/08 9:41 am - MN
sorry still a little confused, they said my PTH was normal I think 48
vitamin D 25 hydroxy was 15 and its been that way for awhile
vitamin D 25 Di hydroxy was I think 100 highest was suppose to be 75

my nurse wanted to put me on 50,000 vitD but she doesnt know what to
do.  She said she would talk to my surgeon.

mabe I should see my primary physician about the high vit D 25 Di hy.
Pam T.
on 7/30/08 9:48 am - Saginaw, MI

My D 25 hydroxy was also low (28, I think) and my PCP put me on  mega-dose of Vitamin D.  50,000IU once per week. Last mine was checked, it was up to 32. 

So if your's is low, I would think you need to be on a Rx supplement too.

Maybe your surgeon or PCP would have a better explanation for why your D 25 Di Hydroxy is so high if your PTH levels are normal.  Sounds like its something more complicated than the info I found online.

I would definitely get your PCP involved.  He should always get a copy of your lab work and be involved in decisions about what medications are added to your regime. In fact, my surgeon requires that my PCP is the head of my medical care (after all, that's the definition of his job - being PRIMARY).  My Surgeon gave a list of the labs that need to be drawn, but my PCP orders the tests and once the results are in, my PCP faxes a copy to my surgeon.  

Good luck with everything...

Pam

My Recipe Index is packed full of yumminess!
Visit my blog: Journey to a Healthier Me  ...or my Website

The scale can measure the weight of my body but never my worth as a woman. ~Lysa TerKeurst author of Made to Crave

(deactivated member)
on 10/28/08 7:18 am

Hi wild rose. I am in no means a doctor in anyway, but I do know that the best type is D3. I like always since its the only thing I know is bariatric advantage the info is on this link.

http://www.bariatricadvantage.com/catalog/itemHandler?id=912

Most Active