3 Weeks out Today - Food Problems

JB1114
on 7/29/08 10:22 am - Grain Valley, MO
Surgery was 3 weeks ago today.  I'm having a big problem with getting protein in.  My dietician told me as of the second week, I should be having 3 meals a day with 2 oz. of protein at each meal plus one protein shake a day.  I'm not even close to 2 oz. of protein in at a meal.  I've tried mainly chicken and fish.

I do chew thoroughly, don't drink 30 minutes prior to eating, but I have a lot of pain in the chest as I'm eating and several times I have vomited.  I have no appetite.  

I'm so tired  and could sleep the day away.  I need to return to work Monday so what can I do?

Thanks for your help.

~Jo~

RNY: July 8, 2008

Dr. John Price

Kansas City, MO

Pam T.
on 7/29/08 12:26 pm - Saginaw, MI

When I was3 weeks out I could barely eat dense protein either.  Some soft tuna salad was about the extent of what I was able to eat.  I was doing 3 protein shakes per day (plus 3 tiny meals****il I hit the 6-week mark.  Then I backed down to 2 shakes for another month or so. 

I also wasn't able to hit my 60-80g protein goal until I was about 5-6 weeks out. I was told to just do the best I could and to keep adding a little bit more each day.  

The pain in the chest is when you have food stuck.  The best way to get through that is to take it really slow.  If something gets stuck, drop back to soft foods for the rest of the day.  Then try again the next day.  I went through this every day from about 6 weeks until 3-months.  This is the big learning curve we all have to go through ... it just takes time to get used to it all.

Sleep is good right now.  Let your body rest as much as it needs.  And if you feel like you can't go back to work, definitely take more time if you need it. Or see if your employer will let you come back to work part time for a week or two to begin with.

You're doing good.  Just take your time and enjoy the journey.  

Pam

My Recipe Index is packed full of yumminess!
Visit my blog: Journey to a Healthier Me  ...or my Website

The scale can measure the weight of my body but never my worth as a woman. ~Lysa TerKeurst author of Made to Crave

(deactivated member)
on 7/29/08 10:55 pm - Cleveland Heights, OH

Given what you are describing when you eat chicken and fish, I'd suggest that you go back to some softer proteins for a while longer.  Yogurt, cottage cheese, string cheese, low-fat cheese, etc.  Assuming you are not lactose intolerant, the texture of these foods should be easier for your pouch to tolerate.  You may also want to try canned chicken or canned tuna, as they tend to be extremely moist, which makes them more tolerable in your pouch.  My protein goal as a new post-op was 60 grams per day and it took me 6-8 weeks to be able to consistently hit that goal. 

Regarding being tired, sleep as much as you can.  Your body is healing and recovering from major surgery, so it is using your energy for that healing.  It's normal to be tired.  In terms of how to handle going back to work, just do the best you can.  And be prepared to spend your evenings and weekends napping and relaxing for a few weeks until your energy level picks up.  The first 2-3 weeks back at work were the toughest for me, but after that my energy picked up and I was able to handle a full day just fine. 

Good luck on your continuing journey -

Kellie

jodie E.
on 8/2/08 3:28 am - houston, TX
I had my sugery 7/14/08 and I am still on liquids. My doctor is keeping me on liquids till 8/11 at my next appt. I am just getting tired of the liquids. But reading the posts, help me to make sure I eat protein everyday.

thanks for the info/ and help.

jodie
Most Active