Need input on my idea for a WLS-friendly cookbook

Jean M.
on 7/23/08 8:04 am, edited 7/23/08 8:08 am
Revision on 08/16/12
Recently on the lap-band forum, I mentioned my idea of publishing a WLS-friendly cookbook. Many members expressed an interest in it, which was encouraging.

I really want to include nutritional info with the recipes, but I am simply not equipped to do it accurately (I use the recipe calculator on sparkpeople.com but that is not at all the same as evaluating recipes in a real test kitchen with real nutritionists on staff, and there's no way I could afford to pay for professional help in this endeavor).

So, if my cookbook didn't have nutritional info and cost $16.95 (not including shipping) for a 250-300 page paperback book (no photos or illustrations), would you still buy it?

Thanks,
Jean

P.S. - for a glimpse at some of my recipes, go to: http://jeanslapbandjourney.blogspot.com/

Jean McMillan c.2009-2013 - Always a bandster at heart
author of Bandwagon (TM), Strategies for Success  with the Adjustable Gastric Band & Bandwagon Cookery. Bandwagon for Kindle now available on Amazon.  Read my blog at: jean-onthebandwagon.blogspot.com 

(deactivated member)
on 7/23/08 10:49 pm - Cleveland Heights, OH

Personally, I always look for cookbooks now that have the nutritional analysis for each recipe.  It's just become a habit as a post-op.  Also, I follow some pretty specific nutritional guidelines in terms of how many grams of carbs, fats, and proteins I eat every day, so if a cookbook does not have this information, I have to try and calculate it myself.  Of course, every post-op is not a compulsive as I am, so perhaps others would find a WLS-friendly cookbook helpful even if it does not contain the nutritional analysis for each recipe. 

Good luck with whatever you decide to do!!!

Kellie

umber
on 7/25/08 2:07 pm - Rochester, NH
I rarely buy cookbooks post-op because I can get such great recipes through eggface and other people on the web.  If I do buy a cookbook it has to be specifically either high protein, low carb OR specifically WLS friend AND have both pictures and nutrition info.  I'm into pictures, I just can't visual what something will look like or what it will taste like unless I can see it. 

I have three cookbooks already that are for post-WLS.  I was dissapointed in two of them, only one held any real interest for me.  I bought all three of them with nutritional info and glossy photos on amazon.com for less than $15 each. 

Just to let you know. 

Bypass has different concerns diet-wise than band, do you consider your recipies bypass friendly or just band friendly?

Lord, give me stregth and when I lack it, patience.  

a.mcmillan
on 8/5/08 5:34 pm
when i weighed260 then was workn really hard lost all my weightt to 165lbs.that was in 1999.it's now 2008.9years and i've almost gained it all back.245lbs. i'm fixn to have the surgery.but when i lose it all again,can they reverse it you think?i'm 38 add 9 yrs.47. i think mt husband will be too blind to notice.lol
foobear
on 7/27/08 1:53 am - Medford, MA
Most cookbooks use widely-available food databases to calculate nutritional information.  I seem to recall that one of the two big WLS cookbooks (either Furtado and Schultz or the Levine and Bontempo-Satay) makes an acknowledgement of the source of the nutritional information they used.  I don't have either in front of me at the time, so I can't be sure.

It would be a separate task in the completion of the cookbook, but I don't think it would require test kitchens and a real nutritionist, just calculation of ingredients against the database, divided by portion size.  (Sounds easy!  )

Since most WLS post-ops are already nutrition-minded, the addition of such information might make the difference when someone decides to shell out real $$$; I know that I appreciated that information in the two WLS cookbooks I mentioned above.

Best of luck, either way!

/Steve

jla734
on 9/7/08 12:21 pm - DE
Hi Jean,
  I would buy it if it was an E-book. That way I would get it instantly. If you lower the price because it would be missing the photos and nutritional info people may be will to pay in the 8 to 10 dollar range. I would pay $8.00.
Most Active