1st month questions

Dimples73
on 7/23/08 10:11 am - GA
Okay, I'm in the first month of my surgery and I am running out of things to eat.  First let me say that I love cottage cheese, oatmeal, yogurt and most of the things on the PUREED list but I have a major problem eating something that I don't want.  I will throw up if I eat something that I don't want.  I have grown tired of these things and am looking for some ideas of things to eat that are okay.  Also, I know you aren't supposed to eat certain fruits but would drinking lemon juice be a problem?  This is important to me as I USED to eat lemons as a snack and I haven't in two weeks so I am wanting one really bad.  I'm a little confused about the whole "consistency of applesauce" thing because while some things are not the consistency of applesauce, they are certainly as soft (like the white part of a boiled egg).  I would love a list from folks of what they ate in the Pureed stage and how they pureed it without making it sickening tasting.  I KNOW I have to get the protein in but I can only stomach so many protein drinks and I don't eat more than 3-5 baby spoons full of food at a time.
Pam T.
on 7/24/08 1:08 am - Saginaw, MI
The first month or so is pretty tough.  Your choices are very limited and you get bored with food.  It's typical.  I think the key is to look at all the different foods you CAN eat on this stage and figure out new ways to cook them or put them together into new recipes. 

That's what I did.  On the pureed stage I could have eggs, cheese and soft-cooked veggies ... each on it's own got old real fast.  But put them together into a Veggie Fritatta and it's delicious! 

Also, check out this link here on OH that tells a bit more about each stage fo the diet with some examples of foods you should be able to have.  It might spark some ideas:
http://pamtremble.blogspot.com/2007/12/vegetable-frittata.ht ml

As for lemons.  Probably a good thing to AVOID.  Citrus is very tough on your pouch and most surgeons restrict any type of citrus fruit or juice for the first 3 months because of the high acid content.  However, there's a product called True Lemon that you can add to your water for the lemon flavor (also comes in Lime and Orange).  It's a tiny packet of flavoring that tastes like you squeezed a lemon wedge into your water.  You can buy it at most grocery stores (found by the artifical sweetners like Equal packets). 

Good luck!
Pam

My Recipe Index is packed full of yumminess!
Visit my blog: Journey to a Healthier Me  ...or my Website

The scale can measure the weight of my body but never my worth as a woman. ~Lysa TerKeurst author of Made to Crave

BillieC
on 7/27/08 2:46 pm - Laurens, SC
I'm a lemon fanatic, too.  My nut and surgeon both said NO lemon juice for at least 3 months and I'm missing it too. But, I love my True Lemon and here's a smoothie recipe I found on their website.  I'll be making this one tomorrow!!!!

SUNSHINE True Lemon® SMOOTHIES

2 cups skim milk
2 cups low fat plain or lemon yogurt
½ cup ice
3 packets True True Lemon®

1. In a blender, combine all ingredients and blend until the mixture is smooth and creamy.
2. Serve in a tall glass.

WARNING:  I am almost always trying (and not always succeeding) to be funny.  Don't take it the wrong way, please!

nani71
on 8/11/08 3:38 am - MA
Hi there,  i am also in my first month and i have been eating the same things as you, but i also eat refried beans with cheese,pureed salsa and fage instead of sour cream,   i also do ricotta with italian herbs, parmesaen and tomato sauce( noodless lasagne) grits with cheese and lots of soups campbells healthy choice cream soups.  i hope this helps also go to theworldaccordingtoeggface.com   she has great recipes.  i also do crystal lite lemonade to get my lemon fix in.....i too am a lemon fanatic and am missing them alot.  you can also eat roastbeef hash from the can and puree that , it's not that bad for something different.  I hope this helps alittle.  
                                            Peace, T
Dimples73
on 8/11/08 12:13 pm - GA
Thanks guys!  I appreciate the response.  My first month is over this week and I have finally felt okay to try some things that I just felt like I needed to eat.  My main problem is I lived off of salad and fruit and not being able to eat that has thrown me for a loop.  I have not actually EATEN a lemon but I did "bite" the juice out of a couple of slices tonight and it was HEAVEN and so far, has not made me sick!!!  I washed it down with water so it would just be more like lemonade...lol. 
Most Active