measuring food

undecidedloser
on 7/21/08 1:11 am - TX
Is 6-8oz of food too much? I'm 3wks post-op.
reneeleigh
on 7/21/08 6:29 am - WA
Hey I am 3 weeks post - op too and I find the I can only have about 1/4 - 1/2 of a cup of food at a time.  So 6-8 oz. seems like a lot to me.  But everyone is different.  If you eat too much or too fast then you will feel it.  I guess it probably depends more on the consistency of the food and how long it takes you to eat it.  I

'm in the mechanical mushy stage and I can only eat one meatball from Trader Joe's and I take like fingernail size bites.

You should speak with your nutritionist about that, maybe your pouch is bigger than mine.  Good luck!
Pam T.
on 7/21/08 6:32 am - Saginaw, MI
Depends on what food it is.  8oz of protein shake or cream soups -- not too much.  8oz of chicken breats or other dense foods -- too much. 

Didn't your nutritionist give you guidelines for how much food you should be eating at each meal?  I was told to have 1-2oz of protein and 1-2 tablespoons of a side dish (soft cooked veggies).  You might want to put a call into your surgeon's office and ask for clarification on volume.

Also remember that your pouch is not "speaking" to your brain.  The nerves in your stomach were cut during surgery so you have no way of knowing when you're full or when you're hungry.  That's why it is so important to measure your food religiously and only eat what you are allowed to eat.  Otherwise you could cause damage to your still-healing pouch.

Pam

My Recipe Index is packed full of yumminess!
Visit my blog: Journey to a Healthier Me  ...or my Website

The scale can measure the weight of my body but never my worth as a woman. ~Lysa TerKeurst author of Made to Crave

Most Active