Food failure? cross -post

(deactivated member)
on 7/20/08 5:35 am - Center Ossipee, NH
I am 7 weeks out , have the go ahead to try anything , well not fried foods or sugar .

So last week I think I was trying to eat a little too normal, or rather as in the pre op days.         I am trying very hard to eat a balanced meal of protein, veggies and fruits at every meal plus 2 shakes, plus 64 oz of water.              I can`t do it!!!

Am I worrying too much right now about eating "balanced"          Should I take a few more weeks to focus on the water always, the protein and "some "   fruits and veggies?

I felt like a failure the end of last week when I just did not have room for very much   veggies and fruits , I had prob 1 TBS of each.

So at 7 weeks out should I try harder to get it all in?

Thanks
Pam T.
on 7/21/08 12:05 am - Saginaw, MI
You are NOT a failure. 

For me the hardest part of this whole new way of eating was between 6 week and 3 months when I was trying to introduce normal food again.  It was a huge game of experimentation and a lesson in patience. 

I finally figured out that my pouch liked it best when I has "soft" foods for breakfast and lunch and had more "solid" foods for my afternoon snack and dinner.  But it took me a good 3 weeks of misery to figure that one out.  I still have issues with a solid breakfast and usually take it easy on my pouch first thing in the morning... but the rest of my food throughout the day is pretty normal.

I also found that if I have a bad pouch day and solid food doesn't cooperate, then back off for the rest of the day and go back to soft food.  I had a lot of Wendy's Chili during those weeks. 

As for "balanced."  I focused mostly on protein with a small side of veggies or fruit for each meal. Once you're able to eat more in volume in a few months, you can worry more about getting in all the food groups for each meal.  I think right now you need to get your pouch used to solid/dense protein -- that takes a lot of work by itself.

Definitely don't go back to liquids or soft foods all the time.... the longer you wait to introduce and get use to dense protein and solid foods the harder it will become for your pouch to deal with it.  So take it slow and you'll do fine.

HTH
Pam

My Recipe Index is packed full of yumminess!
Visit my blog: Journey to a Healthier Me  ...or my Website

The scale can measure the weight of my body but never my worth as a woman. ~Lysa TerKeurst author of Made to Crave

(deactivated member)
on 7/21/08 12:26 am - Center Ossipee, NH
Thanks Pam,          I wish we lived closer ............I adopt you as my best bud !!!

You ALWAYS  have wise info to give out .

Thank you again.
Most Active