Weight loss slowdown... Help!

Nicole E.
on 7/17/08 1:30 pm - New Market, MD

I had surgery of 7/1/08.  I lost 20 lbs in the first two weeks.  I lost one pound last week!!!!  Is this normal only 3 weeks out?  I thought weight loss should be pretty high for the first 5-6 months and I slowed down in week 3!  I am getting my protein and water and exercising 20 min./day at this point and working my way up. Has this happened to anyone else?  What is happening?!!!!!! 

(deactivated member)
on 7/17/08 10:26 pm - Cleveland Heights, OH
Stall 3-4 weeks out from surgery is completely and totally normal; I think this happens to most folks post-op.  Your body has been through a lot and it's just not sure what's going on.  We're designed for self-preservation, so your body is just taking a breather, holding on to it's stored energy, and waiting to see what's going on.  Just keep getting in your protein, staying hydrated, and moving as much as possible.  You'll see the scale moving again soon. 

One of the things I did early out was focus on what my weight was doing on a 4-week basis rather than a day-to-day basis.  So I trained myself to think that as long as I weighed less than I had 4 weeks before, I was doing great.  I still use that long-term mentality, although keeping the weight off takes work on a day-to-day basis. 

If you're super frustrated with the stall, you may also want to stay away from the scale for a while.  I know it's exciting when it goes down, but when you're in a stall it can really set a negative mood for the day (at least it did for me). 

Good luck on your continuing journey -

Kellie
Nicole E.
on 7/17/08 11:26 pm - New Market, MD

Thanks Kelli, That is good to hear.  I got on the scale this morningand I gained 1 pound!  How does that happen when you are eating only 600 calories / day?*#!  You have lost 185 lbs...   That is so great!  Congratulations :) And thanks for the support.

(deactivated member)
on 7/18/08 2:48 am - Cleveland Heights, OH
That can happen on 600 calories a day because your body is designed to protect itself when it's not getting enough energy!  It does move past this though and you will continue to lose - just keep working on getting in the protein, staying hydrated and move, move, move! 

I'm actually down 217 pounds as of today - started at 396 and am 179 today.  It's been an amazing journey, and I feel truly blessed -

Kellie
Donnasu
on 7/26/08 11:34 am - Pensacola, FL
I did the same thing, and let me tell you, it is so frustrating!  I still feel like my weight loss is slow, but I am now used to it. I've lost 63 lbs. and had surgery 3-13.  I weighed every day, would loose 2 lbs., gain 3, up and down, so I finally started weighing once a week, so am only loosing 2-3 lbs. a week and I follow all the rules!  Maybe I should try the once a month weighing.......I've learned to realize that I am just a slow looser and it WILL eventually come off, with time.....Good luck on your journey!
Most Active