very high b6

Michelle R.
on 7/17/08 9:51 am - Katy, TX

Ok, I'm one year out from RNY and have lost 105#!  But ever since surgery, my B6 has been high, and continues to be high even though I've not been taking ANY vitamins for the last six months.  Which has, in turn, made me low on some other measures.

So, my doc has me looking for a multi-vitamin that contains NO B6 or very LOW levels of B6 -- which has been impossible to find so far.

Any suggestions out there?

Thanks!

Michelle

288/182/???? 

wendy_fou
on 7/17/08 1:44 pm - AR
Wow.  That's a tough one. 

You can't cut out foods that are high in B6 either because most foods high in B6 are also the same foods that are NEEDED for their protein. 

B6 can get too high, so I totally agree that you need a multi w/out high levels of B6 in it.  But unfortunately, I don't know of it.  Yours is not exactly a common problem. 

Maybe vitalady would know?  Have you asked her? 

I have 2 suggestions (neither of which is GREAT but they're all I have to offer).
1) Do NOT take a multi-vitamin, opting instead to get the vitamins (other than B6) normally found in a multi-vitamin and take them seperately.  (I know, that would be tons of pills.  But I don't have a better suggestion.  Sorry.)
2) Consume less B6 in your diet. 

B6 is a water soluable vitamin.  Your body does not store B6.  It uses what it needs out of what you give it and you pee out the excess your body doesn't need.  So for your B6 to be consistenly high, you have to be consistently consuming too much.  To rectify this, you could start choosing foods that have LESS rather than MORE B6 in them.  Per the National Institute of Health's Office of Dietary Supplements (one of my bibles - tehehe), the following is a list of some of the foods that contain B6 and the levels of B6 in each food:
Food Milligrams (mg)
per serving
% DV*
Ready-to-eat cereal, 100% fortified, ¾ c 2.00 100
Potato, Baked, flesh and skin, 1 medium 0.70 35
Banana, raw, 1 medium 0.68 34
Garbanzo beans, canned, ½ c 0.57 30
Chicken breast, meat only, cooked, ½ breast 0.52 25
Ready-to-eat cereal, 25% fortified, ¾ c 0.50 25
Oatmeal, instant, fortified, 1 packet 0.42 20
Pork loin, lean only, cooked, 3 oz 0.42 20
Roast beef, eye of round, lean only, cooked, 3 oz 0.32 15
Trout, rainbow, cooked, 3 oz 0.29 15
Sunflower seeds, kernels, dry roasted, 1 oz 0.23 10
Spinach, frozen, cooked, ½ c 0.14 8
Tomato juice, canned, 6 oz 0.20 10
Avocado, raw, sliced, ½ cup 0.20 10
Salmon, Sockeye, cooked, 3 oz 0.19 10
Tuna, canned in water, drained solids, 3 oz 0.18 10
Wheat bran, crude or unprocessed, ¼ c 0.18 10
Peanut butter, smooth, 2 Tbs. 0.15 8
Walnuts, English/Persian, 1 oz 0.15 8
Soybeans, green, boiled, drained, ½ c 0.05 2
Lima beans, frozen, cooked, drained, ½ c 0.10 6

So obviously, going by this list, Salmon would be a better choice for you for lunch tomorrow than chicken because salmon has only .19mg of B6 per serving versus chicken which has .52mg of B6 per serving.  Lima beans would obviously be a better vegetable to choose than a baked potato. 

Hope that helped a little at least.  Good luck. 
sarard
on 8/5/08 10:56 am - Costa Mesa, CA
 B6 is not toxic in your body.  A high blood level of B6 will not harm  you.  I would suggest you take a regular multi-vitamin and not worry about the B6.  You still need to supplement B12, but take B12 by itself and not a b-complex.  

Sara Nejat-Bina, RD, CNSD, CDE
Registered Dietitian
Most Active