regular meal planning?????

frankielarkey
on 7/17/08 9:20 am - Riverton, WY

It's just my husband and myself at home and I never did stop to think about meal planning after my surgery. I'm  2 1/2 months out and I can't even think about having any type of regular meal. I don't have any regularity to my eating, I eat when I feel like I need to. I have done pretty well eating that way, although, I have to admit, I am worried about falling back into grazing. 
Any help advice that anyone has would be quite helpful.
Thanks,
Frankie

~~Frankie~~ 

~~ To Thine Own Self Be True~~

lucky_lady76
on 7/18/08 2:26 am - Texarkana, TX

Hey Frankie, congrats on your surgery, hope you are doing well. I can only share my experience, I am 14 months out. When I first had my surgery I did the exact same thing as you, I only ate when I was hungry. But it became more grazing than meals. So it was suggested to get on a schedule and only eat at that paticular time whether I was hungry or not. I just started that about 5 months ago and I went from a 3 month stall to losing about a pound a week again. I now eat breakfast before I go to work, lunch at 12 and supper at 5, if I am hungry inbetween those times I will have a Dannon yogurt smoothie, or a banana. I have found that I do not get hungry near as often.
This is a learning experience for everyone, what works for me might not work for you. My husband had his surgery 3 years ago and he never stayed on a schedule and lost over 200 #. If I do not stay on a schedule I gain instead of loose.
So read and listen to all the advise and then just try and see what works for you. 
Good Luck

GOD BLESS   Cynthia
frankielarkey
on 7/18/08 8:10 am - Riverton, WY
Thank you so much Cynthia. I appreciate the advice. I need to re-do my ticker, cause I've lost 57 lbs in 2 1/2 months lol. Makes a gal feel pretty darn good.
My husband on the other hand is a skinny lil turd *grin*
Thanks a bunch
                              ~~Frankie~~ 

Pam T.
on 7/18/08 4:47 am - Saginaw, MI
In my post-op program we were given an hour-by-hour schedule for eating and drinking.  At the beginning it was invaluable to keep me on track and know exactly what I needed to be doing at any given moment of the day.  This helped me to develop GOOD eating habits and get away from the grazing and overeating habits I had before surgery.  I had to start thinking of food and snacks as fuel for my body and knowing that my body needed regular feedings to function properly helped me to stick to it. 

I was told to eat on schedule no matter if I was hungry or not because in the beginning your stomach doesn't know how to communicate real hunger.  The nerves in your pouch were cut during surgery so the brain and the stomach aren't communicating right now.  It takes anywhere from 3 months to 18 months for those nerves to heal and start working again. 

Now I'm 8 months post-op and still use that same basic schedule from my early post-op days.  I can see that the schedule is ingrained in my lifestyle now and helps me to stay on track. 

Here's a sample of that schedule: http://www.obesityhelp.com/member/pwsammy/uzone,blog/action, comments/blog_id,61570/blog_post_id,123140/

HTH
Pam

My Recipe Index is packed full of yumminess!
Visit my blog: Journey to a Healthier Me  ...or my Website

The scale can measure the weight of my body but never my worth as a woman. ~Lysa TerKeurst author of Made to Crave

Marilyn B.
on 7/22/08 11:54 pm - Bella Vista, AR
Pam,
Thank you for the sample schedule. I also have been struggling with this problem.  I have not returned to work and so have not established a schedule eating time.  I am going to try to incorporate this schedule while still at home, so I will be prepared when I go back to work.
Thank you,
Marilyn
He has lifted me, so that I all see in the sand are His footsteps as he carries me!
Praise your name!

myskinnyjeans
on 9/30/08 12:41 pm - MI
On July 18, 2008 at 11:47 AM Pacific Time, Pam T. wrote:
In my post-op program we were given an hour-by-hour schedule for eating and drinking.  At the beginning it was invaluable to keep me on track and know exactly what I needed to be doing at any given moment of the day.  This helped me to develop GOOD eating habits and get away from the grazing and overeating habits I had before surgery.  I had to start thinking of food and snacks as fuel for my body and knowing that my body needed regular feedings to function properly helped me to stick to it. 

I was told to eat on schedule no matter if I was hungry or not because in the beginning your stomach doesn't know how to communicate real hunger.  The nerves in your pouch were cut during surgery so the brain and the stomach aren't communicating right now.  It takes anywhere from 3 months to 18 months for those nerves to heal and start working again. 

Now I'm 8 months post-op and still use that same basic schedule from my early post-op days.  I can see that the schedule is ingrained in my lifestyle now and helps me to stay on track. 

Here's a sample of that schedule: http://www.obesityhelp.com/member/pwsammy/uzone,blog/action, comments/blog_id,61570/blog_post_id,123140/

HTH
Pam
thanks for posting your schedule. i'm sure this will be very helpful!  when did you sleep?
i haven't had my surgery yet, it's scheduled for a few weeks from now. i have had outpatient surgery before, but this is more major. i remember being really tired even after my outpatient.
how'd you balance getting in your water, your meals and rest + walking? any suggestions would be great!
Pam T.
on 9/30/08 1:42 pm - Saginaw, MI
 The first few weeks after surgery (and the first few weeks after going back to work) .. sleep seemed to take precident over all else.  If I could stay on the schedule while I was awake I was both well hydrated and well fed with proten while I was up... then when I slept I wasn't losing too much  on the schedule  I'd just try to make up what I could when I was awake again.  I don't think I ever slept much more than an hour at a time anyway.  

Pam

My Recipe Index is packed full of yumminess!
Visit my blog: Journey to a Healthier Me  ...or my Website

The scale can measure the weight of my body but never my worth as a woman. ~Lysa TerKeurst author of Made to Crave

K B (Tucson)
on 7/18/08 2:11 pm - Tucson, AZ
I agree with poster 1.  Establish now regular meal times as you will over time tend to end up eating all day (grazing) and lose track of how much you eat.  I do best with 5 small meals (small breakfast, lunch and dinner and 2 small snacks in between)  I tend to chose protein for my snacks to help me feel more full.  Also solid foods as opposed to liquid foods (protein shakes) will help keep the volume of what you eat smaller and help you feel more full.  This will become especially true as time goes by and your appetite increases.  I also try to cut off all foods by 8 PM so that I do not revert back to a "night binger".  Practicing good eating habits now will certainly help you as you get months/years beyond surgery and ytrys to maintain your weight loss.
frankielarkey
on 7/18/08 2:20 pm - Riverton, WY
Thank you K B. I am taking all of these suggestions down and am trying to get a "regular" routine going.
                              ~~Frankie~~ 

James G.
on 7/21/08 3:11 pm - Eden Valley, MN
I have similar problems, keeping a schedule.

But as far as you are concerned, YOU can't argue with success and you have that!!!!!!!

Good luck,
Jim G.,   
OLD INFO:Now I finally broke the 300 lb mark 89 Pounds lost in 120 days !  
New info: Now 130 pounds lost and 2 years out.  Weight around 245 lbs.
My loving wife, Robin had DS Sept. 30, 2008 and has lost about 130 lbs. also.  Hey, thats 260 lbs. lost together.  We lost a person in there somewhere.

Most Active