Can you unstretch a pouch?

Veg_nRN
on 7/16/08 8:25 pm - Glen Burnie, MD
Okay, I've been a bad girl.  I'm 9 months out and have been misbehaving.  I'm down 130ish pounds but have hit a gridlock and been eeking up the scale a few pounds.  I know I've stretched out my pouch because I can eat way more than I used to be able to.  So does anyone know if it is possible to "unstretch" your pouch once this happens?  I mean obviously aside from revision surgery, like a fast or eating only certain amounts/kinds of foods for a while?  Just wondering...
~Bonnie "You will be assimilated, resistance is futile." - the Borg

Starting Weight: 315 lbs

Current Weight: 187 lbs
Goal Weight:  145ish lbs
(deactivated member)
on 7/16/08 10:55 pm - Cleveland Heights, OH

It's normal for your capacity to slowly increase over time; that's how the process is intended to work.  At 9 months out you should be able to eat considerably more than you could 3-6 months ago. 

If your weight loss is beginning to slow down, you may need to reevaluate what your eating (proteins, carbs, fats), how much you are eating, whether your sliding back into old habits (grazing), how much you are exercising, etc.  Now is the time to make sure you're working hard to engrain your new healthy eating habits for a lifetime of weight loss success.  WLS and all, it's still about calories in versus calories out -

Good luck on your continuing journey -

Kellie

Pam T.
on 7/17/08 6:28 am - Saginaw, MI
A mature pouch (2 years post-op) measures anywhere from 6oz to 9oz in size.  This is totally normal.  It's not stretched by abuse -- the body will grow this living organ to help compensate for the sugery we had.  The body is an amazing machine and it will do whatever it can to make the absorption of calories more effecient after WLS.  The pouch grows and the intestines grow additional cilia -- which is the little finger-like things that grab food and nutrients as it passes by.

By 6 months post-op, the pouch that started out as 1oz to 2oz is 2/3 of the way to maturity.  So obviously we can eat more food. 

I would suggest going back to the basic rules:

Protein first
If there's room, have some veggies
Have just 1 or 2 bites of a starchy carbohydrate if there's room after veggies
No drinking with meals of 45 -60 minutes after (the further out we get the longer this time needs to be)
Water, water, water
Exercise like a mad woman!

My mom is 5 years out from RNY.  She thought her pouch was stretched too. But when she started doing dense protein first then trying to add small amounts of side dishes, she found out pretty quickly that her pouch still works like it should. 

Good luck
Pam

My Recipe Index is packed full of yumminess!
Visit my blog: Journey to a Healthier Me  ...or my Website

The scale can measure the weight of my body but never my worth as a woman. ~Lysa TerKeurst author of Made to Crave

Most Active