How much protein can RNY absorb?

Nsg4Him
on 7/15/08 5:38 am - Sevierville, TN
I have heard lots of different stuff.  My nut said to get in 60-80 grams per day, but she didn't say how much I could absorb at one time.  I had heard 30mg at a time, but yesterday heard that wasn't true.  So, what are the facts, please?
Marilyn

Marilyn
                      Smoky Mountain Obesity and WLS Support Group 
                    1/17 6:30 LeConte Medical Center              

wendy_fou
on 7/15/08 11:05 am - AR
The 30 gram per hour absorption cap is a MYTH. 

Per the recent article published on the soard board, (see the ASMBS website for more info)...
"One popular myth is that only 30 g/hr of protein can be absorbed.  Although this is commonly found in both lay and some professional reports, there is NO scientific basis for this claim." 

So if you drink a protein shake with 50 grams of protein in it, the body does not shut the door on absorption at 30 grams and just disregard the remaining 20 grams.  (However, it is best to spread protein out as evenly throughout the day as possible.) 
Pam T.
on 7/16/08 6:10 am - Saginaw, MI
I'm with Wendy on this one too. 

There's no set number of grams you can absorb at one time.  However, the body "likes" it better if you spread out your protein intake (and all nutrients, for that matter) throughout the day.  Give your body a balance of nutrients divided somewhat equally throughout all your meals/snacks. 

So if you need to get in 80g of protein per day, figure out how many feedings you'll have in a day and divide accordingly.  Not that your body can't deal with it if you drink a 40g protein shake at breakfast.  but it's better to spread it out as evenly as possible like this:

Breakfast - 20g
Snack - 10g
Lunch - 20g
Snack - 10g
Dinner - 20g

I need to track down this great website article I found written by a body builder -- esentially saying this same thing.  I think the myth has been perpetuated by the bodybuilding community and protein powder manufacturers... so it was good to hear the myth debunked by the source.

Pam

My Recipe Index is packed full of yumminess!
Visit my blog: Journey to a Healthier Me  ...or my Website

The scale can measure the weight of my body but never my worth as a woman. ~Lysa TerKeurst author of Made to Crave

Denise W.
on 7/22/08 2:12 am - Rocklin, CA

I look at it this way....I am already putting a lot of stress on my organs with this surgery, and breaking things up a bit is going to be a little easier on them.

Highest 6/98:  289     1st consult 9/07:  260          5'11"
WLS 1/7/08:   234      Lowest 8/08:       164.5    
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=532747907&ref=name
Currently pregnant! Due November 27th, 2009! 

Most Active