healthy snack ideas please!!

KatieLovesYou
on 7/10/08 1:31 pm - Bakersfield, CA
I really need to start snacking RIGHT! Could you guys help me get a list together of healthy snacks?? <3 katie
K B (Tucson)
on 7/10/08 2:40 pm - Tucson, AZ
NO!  You do NOT have to restart snacking.  This can be your downfall and help you regain your weight.  Instead, look to divide your days calories/protein intake into 5-6 mini-meals.  This way you get the sense of snacking, but you do not overeat or become hungry between meals.  This may seem  like a matter of semantics (mini-meal vs snack) but the mindset behind this is critical.  Meals are "required", snacks are not.  Good luck.
(deactivated member)
on 7/10/08 10:51 pm - Cleveland Heights, OH
Mini-meals, snacks, whatever you call them, planning is the way to go.  Call it what you want, but here's some of my regular snacks/mini-meals -  - 1 c. cottage cheese mixed w/ 2 packets Splenda, 4 tbsp. sugar-free preserves, and fresh diced strawberries or blueberries - 6 oz. light fruit-flavored yogurt w/ 1/4 c. Kashi granola - 6 oz. light vanilla yogurt w/ 1/4 c. Bob's Red Mill Mueslix (raw grain cereal), 2 oz. fresh blueberries, a couple diced strawberries (I mix this together the night before so the raw grains in the Mueslix can soften) [can also do the same thing w/ Fage greek-style yogurt] - open-face turkey sandwich (1 slice whole-grain bread, 3 slices smoked turkey, 1 slice lowfat cheese, mustard, maybe some alfalfa sprouts or leaf lettuce) - banana or apple w/ 1-2 tbsp. peanut butter - Soy Crisps (Genisoy, or Trader's Joe's store brand) - a nice salty/crunchy snack - Special K Protein Plus cereal w/ milk - egg salad on leaf lettuce (instead of bread) - roll it up and eat it like a taco! - hard-boiled egg - low-fat deli meat wrapped around a piece of string cheese - string cheese w/ 1/2 a serving of MultiGrain wheat thins I played around until I found 15-20 snacks/mini-meals that range from 150-250 calories, with a mix of protein, carbs and fats in it.  I eat 8-9 times per day - more when I'm going to the gym twice a day, less when I'm not.  My resting metabolism is around 2000 calories a day and I'm maintaining a 210 pound loss (started at 396, maintaining at 185, height = 5'7").   Good luck finding some snacks/mini-meals that work for you! Kellie
Amy_in_MA
on 7/10/08 11:53 pm - Danvers, MA
Ok, I have 3 meals, and 2 to 3 snacks daily. All of it is planned, so none of it is really "on the fly", which I think is key. I'm eating something every 2.5 to 4 hours. Snacks for me will include: SmartForme protein bar and fruit, jerky of some kind, low-fat cheese, light yogurt with high fiber cereal, no sugar added fudgsicles, 1% milk, soy crisps, pickles, just about anything that is high protein, just in a smaller amount than I would consume at a meal.

Most Active