Sugar

wondering
on 7/10/08 11:51 am - Canada
I'm pre-op.  Tonight I had a bean salad for supper.  I noticed one of the ingredients on the list was sugar.  I know that post-op I'm not supposed to eat sugar.  Does this mean none at all - no sugar - not even in the "good" foods? L.

K B (Tucson)
on 7/10/08 2:43 pm - Tucson, AZ
No, this means avoid high sugatr/fat foods like cake, ice cream, etc.  You can have these in small quantities every once in a while, but should never again become the main source of your food intake (speaking personally of course!).  Good luck.
Pam T.
on 7/11/08 12:49 am - Saginaw, MI
Most surgeons have a specific number of grams they recommend you stay within.  Mine recommends that each serving/meal should have less than 5g of sugar. (The only exception is yogurt because the sugar is normally from the milk lactose.)  I seem to do fine with up to 10g per meal and it makes life a bit easier to stay within that range.   Was the bean salad homemade or store-bought?  If it was store-bought I wouldn't be surprised if they added sugar to the recipe to add flavor.  If it was homemade and you know there was no added sugar, try to figure out what else was in the salad that might have contained natural sugars.  Normally natural sugar works fine with post-ops in limited quanities.  (Although I still have issues with the sugars in bananas - go figure.)  HTH Pam

My Recipe Index is packed full of yumminess!
Visit my blog: Journey to a Healthier Me  ...or my Website

The scale can measure the weight of my body but never my worth as a woman. ~Lysa TerKeurst author of Made to Crave

Most Active