HELP what Vitamins/Minerals needed after RNY?

elizabethW
on 7/10/08 8:00 am - San Jose, CA
RNY on 08/08/08 with
Hi, I am one month away from getting RNY and am confused about which vitamins and minerals to take afterwards Calcuim Citrate: how much/how often Vitamin B or B12: how much/how often Iron? Protien: 60 mg a day, right? Multi Vitamin: just one per day, or a double dose? ALSO, CAN WE EAT FAT FREE REFRIED BEANS (FRIJOILES) AFTER RNY??? HOW ABOUT HUMMUS?
wendy_fou
on 7/10/08 2:26 pm - AR
I had RNY about 11 months ago. Calcuim Citrate: how much/how often Vitamin B or B12: how much/how often Iron?  Calcium Citrate should be taken in doses of 500 - 600 mg.  (Be sure to check how many pills make up a serving - it is not always one.)  A calcium supplement with magnesium and vitamin D3 is best.  Calcium Citrate doses should be spaced evenly throughout the day, with the total doses for the day totaling 1700 - 2000.  Never take Calcium with Iron.   Vitamin B?  There are several so I will assume you mean a B-Complex (a vitamin with ALL the vitamin Bs included).  B-50 dosage.  B-12 should be taken IN ADDITION TO a good B-Complex vitamin.  The reason for this is that the part of our bodies that absorb B-12 through food or regular pills is bypassed.  Post-op RNYers can only absorb B-12 passively (via injections or sublinguals, etc).  You should take 500mg of B-12 sublingually every day.   18 - 27 mg of iron (in addition to whatever is in your multivitamin) should be taken daily BY ITSELF with no other vitamins/supplements - not even with calcium rich foods.  Iron is far from a man of steel.  Vitamins/minerals/etc have to fight to be absorbed in our bodies.  If you send iron in with ANYTHING ELSE, he gets his butt kicked and doesn't get a turn to be absorbed.  You have to send him in ALL BY HIMSELF for him to have a prayer of getting absorbed.  If you send him in with ANYTHING ELSE, he will lose the fight.  So take your iron by itself.  The only exception if Vitamin C.  Vitamin C actually HELPS iron absorption.  A seperate vitamin D3 is a good idea too, as you are probably deficient in that.  (Most pre-ops are.)  I take 1 of those per week.   Whatever type of multivitamin you take should contain 200% of the daily value of at least 2/3 of nutrients.  There are various multivitamins available, but your surgeon may prescribe one for you.  (I take a prescription one myself.)  Choose a complete multivitamin with at least 18 mg iron, 400 ug folic acid, as well as selenium and zinc in each serving. A little over 50% of RNY post-ops end up deficient in vitamin A.  10,000 IU of vitamin A every 2 weeks can prevent that.   Vitamin E defiency has been reported in WLS post-ops.  500 mg of vitamin E daily can prevent that.  Be sure that NONE of your vitamins have enteric coating and that none are "time release".   Protein: 60 mg a day, right?  Most surgeons' post-op plans do recommend 60 GRAMS per day minimum.  Your surgeon may recommend a little more though.  You should know whenever he gives you your guidelines.  ALSO, CAN WE EAT FAT FREE REFRIED BEANS (FRIJOILES) AFTER RNY??? I eat Pintos & Cheese from Taco Bell quite frequently.  (Yes, fat free refried beans are fine also.)  I was able to eat these beginning in my "soft stage", but ask your specific surgeon what he allows in his soft stage.  He may make you wait a month out or so before letting you eat beans.  It will be up to him what his plan allows. HOW ABOUT HUMMUS? I've never eaten Hummus, but isn't it some type of cheese dip or spread?  If it is not too fatty, you shouldn't have trouble with it.  If anything rules it out, it will be something like fat, calories, etc.  Again, I don't know what guidelines your surgeon sets for post-ops.  Once he gives you his guidelines, you'll know.  
Pam T.
on 7/11/08 12:43 am - Saginaw, MI
Wendy's suggestions were all great and right on target.  I won't bother retyping my suggestions.... she did a great job.   My only caution is this:  DO NOT add vitamins and supplements until you speak with your surgeon, PCP or nutritionist.  Some vitamins and minerals can actually be toxic to your body if you take them when you don't need them.  Your supplement routine should be based on your blood lab work results and with the assistance of a medical professional.   For instance, I started taking daily doses of B12 after surgery even though my doctors never told me to start.  When I got my 6-weeks labwork back my levels were so HIGH that the lab couldn't even read the results.  They were over 2000.  My doctor cut my dosage and took me off the pills.  The next round of labwork showed that my levels were still high but I was put back on a B12 but at a greatly reduced dose and only 3 times per week instead of daily.  Thankfully B12 is a water soluable vitamin and I didn't do any harm to my body -- but what if I'd done that with Vitamin A or E or D or whatever.    Also -- most people assume they automatically need an iron supplement after surgery.  Not everyone does.  Your supplement should be based on your labwork results.  My iron is actually increasing steadily even though I'm not taking any additional iron pills -- just what's in my multi. I also don't take a B-complex.  There's plenty in my multi-vitamin and my labwork on the B's has been just fine.   So be careful when taking advice about your medical care from a message board.  Make sure your doctor knows every medication, vitamins, supplement or herbal drug you're taking so they can manage your care based on your own personal needs.  Personally I only take the following: 2 multi-vitamins (Centrum adult chewables) 2000mg calcium citrate (I'm on Depo Provera shot which leaches calcium, so my doc has me on extra calcium) B12 sublinguals - 3 doses per week HTH Pam

My Recipe Index is packed full of yumminess!
Visit my blog: Journey to a Healthier Me  ...or my Website

The scale can measure the weight of my body but never my worth as a woman. ~Lysa TerKeurst author of Made to Crave

Most Active