Is our BMR an accurate tool?

Denise W.
on 7/8/08 6:00 am - Rocklin, CA

Seeing the BMR calculators, and people who have had the actual respiratory testing, it seems like the number of calories required is SOOOO high compared to what we are truly eating. And based on that number, we should be losing so much faster (for those farther out).

I am eating around 1000 calories a day, my BMR is around 1800. That is a huge deficit, and doesn't even take exercise into account. So, this leads me to wonder if we need to look at these numbers differently than non-WLS folks.

Any thoughts?

Also, at 6 months, how many calories has your doctor/nutritionist recommended?

thanks!

Highest 6/98:  289     1st consult 9/07:  260          5'11"
WLS 1/7/08:   234      Lowest 8/08:       164.5    
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=532747907&ref=name
Currently pregnant! Due November 27th, 2009! 

Sandra B.
on 7/8/08 10:37 am - Savannah, GA
I'm glad you asked this and I'm anxious to see the replies.  I've wondered the same thing and have heard that our bodies get used to fewer calories because of the way it compensates for the surgery but I don't remember the details so I know that is not a reliable answer.  I know I eat way less calories - tracking them on sparkpeople.com than I should to lose weight and still am not losing.  And I know I'm not eating too few calories.
(deactivated member)
on 7/8/08 10:51 pm - Cleveland Heights, OH
I'm not sure how accurate the BMR calculators are for folks who are early out from surgery.   I'm 33 months post-op and the BMR calculator is actually under my daily calorie averages by about 800 calories.  According to several online BMR calculators, my BMR is around 1586.  I'm actually averaging about 2500-2600 calories per day.  I also exercise 8-10 hours per week (4 hours strength training, 5 hours cardio, 1 hour yoga).  I had my BMR tested by New Leaf Fitness about a year ago and, at that time, my BMR tested at 2000 calories.  I'm 5'7", I started at 396 pounds pounds and am currently maintaining at 185.  According to my body composition monitor (Omron 500 something or other), I have about 31% body fat and 31% skeletal muscle.  I'm guessing that when I have plastics and get rid of the extra skin that I'll be about 165-170 pounds.  I'm a firm believer that if we create too great of a calorie deficit long-tem that our metabolism will slow down.  Our bodies are designed for long-term self-preservation and if we consistently give our body far fewer calories (meaning we create a really big calorie deficit) than it needs to function every day, it'll slow the rate at which it burns energy to make sure it will have enough to keep you going.   In my opinion, a lot of post-ops get hung up on trying to maintain these really low daily calorie intakes forever, when their bodies could really adapt to higher numbers and still maintain their losses.  I've been using a daily food journal for 2+ years now, so I've been able to track how my daily calorie averages affect my weight gain, loss or maintenance.  I'm often encouraging people who are 1+ year post-op and saying they are eating 1000 calories a day or less but still not losing to try adding 100-200 calories a day and see what happens.  They are often pleasantly surprised with the results - I hope some of my rambling is helpful - good luck on your continuing journey... Kellie
gymjunkie
on 7/10/08 7:09 am - Williamsburg, VA
Glad I am not the only one confused by this, one websitesaid I should be eating 1792 cal and another said 1238.  That is a big difference.  And I also wondered if  it makes any diff that we are wls patients.  I am 2 1/2 years out and would like to lose another 20 pounds. I am 5 feet 62 years old and weigh 152.  This is where my body stopped after surgery and I was happy so I never pushed losing any more weight.  It has been very easy to maintain for over 1 1/2 years.  I have been trying to lose for 3 months, joined a gym  thought I was doing everything right and the weight should start coming off but not even 1 puond in three months.  I call the wls office today to try to see the nutritionist but they don't have one right now.  Don't get me started on the ineptness of this center.  So I am hoping to get some help here or maybe someone can  recommend a nutritionist in the Hampton Roads area. My problem is cal in vs cal burned and I just don't know how to come up with right numbers. 
Most Active