Protein Powder Question

JUDY C.
on 7/6/08 7:34 am - Bear, DE
Hi all!

In my effort to get in more protein, I've found I like my "vanilla ice cream" flavored protein as my creamer for my coffee.  I just mix the protein with a little water then mix with the coffee.  Tastes like french vanilla creamer.
My question is:  because the coffee is so hot, am I destroying the protein thus making this new find not so good?
It doesn't mention any where on the package about heat restrictions like the Isopure does.
Optimum Supplement 100%  Whey Protein Double Rich ChocolateI get this at Acme for $14.99 in double choc and vanilla ice cream.
Thanks, Judy

~Believe in Yourself~

K B (Tucson)
on 7/6/08 11:58 am - Tucson, AZ
As I understand it, high heat does indeed break down protein powders.  They will clump up and be nasty to taste too.You could make the coffee first, let it cool down then add the protein powder so as not to degrade it.
Pam T.
on 7/7/08 5:59 am - Saginaw, MI
No, heat does NOT harm protein powder.  You can bake with it, add it to hot coffee or cook with it -- the amino acids will remain in tact and just as helpful as it was in its raw form.  When you heat protein you will "denaturalize" it .. which just means you are taking it from it's natural form and changing it into a different form.   The amino acid chain changes in structure, but that doesn't mean the amino acids can no longer be used. Here's an example: A raw egg white is clear, but if you were to eat that raw egg, it'd still contain 8g of protein.  If you cook it and the egg white becomes opaque it still contains 8g of protein.  When the clear egg goes white, that is a visual indicator of the denaturalization process.  So yes, go ahead and add the protein powder to your coffee.  Or check out Michelle's cheesecake recipe and make some cheesecake crust with protein powder and bake it in the oven.  (I did this afternoon.)  Pam

My Recipe Index is packed full of yumminess!
Visit my blog: Journey to a Healthier Me  ...or my Website

The scale can measure the weight of my body but never my worth as a woman. ~Lysa TerKeurst author of Made to Crave

JUDY C.
on 7/7/08 8:03 am - Bear, DE
Pam, Thanks so much for your information!  I was so pleased to find that the vanilla tastes just like a french vanilla creamer.  Now I have a good coffee flavor with 23 gr. of protein!! Thanks again!

~Believe in Yourself~

Most Active