Sugar Alcohol in Foods

Aincantare
on 7/5/08 1:49 am - Greeley, CO

Aloha & Good Morning All! Just have a question abt sugar alcohol.  Will it also cause dumping syndrome.  This is one of my major concerns.  I'm finding a lot of foods with 0 sugar, but they have sugar alcohol.  My fav "snack" is South Beach Diet's Meal Replacement Bars.  They are sooooo tasty and a great breakfast (unless paired with a Frappacino  lol).  They have 19 gr. of protein, which is great, 210 cal (not bad), 0 gr. sugar, but 18 grs. sugar alcohol.  This is also predominate with other "No Added Sugar" foods.  I'm just wondering the effect of sugar alcohols with this surgery.  There's not a lot of info out there.

Andrawill
on 7/5/08 12:01 pm - Statesville, NC
I had the same question. I asked my dietician/nutritionist about this. She said that sugar alcohols usually do not cause a problem if the person tolerates the artificial sweeteners. She did suggest moderation with the things that contain sugar alcohols as a precaution.  Hope that helps.  (Remember---dieticians may differ on their opinions, so try and check with you doc to see if they have different info as well.)  Good luck!

Amy_in_MA
on 7/6/08 9:22 pm - Danvers, MA
Some people have issues with sugar alcohols, and some do not.

Most Active