Pre-op Diet

allison274
on 6/30/08 10:48 am - AR
Has anyone just used SlimFast low carb and broth.  I read a lady fron Saginaw who suggested to drain the broth.  Having surgery in Sept. and just thinking.
Pam T.
on 7/1/08 6:36 am - Saginaw, MI
Your surgeon will give you exact guidelines for what you should have during your pre-op liquid diet.  Definitely don't do a liquid diet without his direction because they can often be dangerous and not give the right balance of nutrients. For my plan I had to purchase a meal kit for the 2 weeks before surgery.  It included 3 protein shakes per day and 3 "meals" of soup or broth.  The soup that came in the kit was horrible so I ended up mostly using strained soup (chicken noodle soup without the chicken or noodles or veggies).  I cleared it with the nutritionist first though. I was also allowed unlimited clear liquids that were non-carbonated, non-caffienated, non-sugared and low calorie (like Crystal light). What you might want to try now is just a low calorie diet that is similar to what you'll eat after surgery.  Protein first, low carb, no sugar.  See how you do on about 1200-1400 calories per day.  Start logging your food on a place like www.fitday.com or similar site.   Good luck Pam

My Recipe Index is packed full of yumminess!
Visit my blog: Journey to a Healthier Me  ...or my Website

The scale can measure the weight of my body but never my worth as a woman. ~Lysa TerKeurst author of Made to Crave

allison274
on 7/1/08 7:21 am - AR
Thank you Pam.  You are sooo much help.
Most Active