Supplement Confusion??

TMnewlife
on 6/22/08 3:50 am, edited 6/22/08 4:22 am - KY
I haven't had my surgery (RNY) yet--- Aug 5th is my day! I have been reading these boards and trying to figure out exactly what vitamins, supplements and other items I should stock up on and have on hand when I come home from the hospital and going forward. I am really getting confused??? I have read about bloating and gas, hair loss, taking extra D, calcium citrate, B12 and others. Can anyone provide a suggested list of what I should purchase and what I would be taking them for? My nutritionist appointment seems like ages ago and it went so quickly and my brain is on overload ...I need advice.

"Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising every time we fall."

Pam T.
on 6/22/08 4:23 am - Saginaw, MI
Congratulations on your upcoming surgery date!  It'll be here before you know it! Do you have a pre-surgery nutrition class scheduled?  I had one that was held about 2.5 weeks before my surgery and they went over all my supplements (which exact doses, suggested brands and schedule for taking them).  they also went over my first phase of eating and what things to buy - a grocery list was provided and a schedule of when to eat and what each meal/snack should look like.  If you don't have something like that scheduled, call and ask if they can provide a one-on-one class for you.  That's what they are being paid for. Each surgeon is different and sets up his/her supplement and diet program based on the specific surgery they are performing (yes, each RNY is a bit different based on the surgeon's techniques and the results he's seen in his own practice).  I learned the hard way NOT to listen to advice I find  on a forum like this.... do not just add extra vitamins and supplements until you consult your surgeon or nutrition or PCP to make sure that's the right thing for YOU.  I started taking B12 every day in a high dose without the advice of my nutritionist.  I ended up with a blood B12 level that was so high the lab couldn't even read the true number.  Thankfully B12 is harmless and I just backed off on my dose and it came back down to normal range.  But if I'd done that with some other supplement that can be toxic to the body (like the fat soluble vitamins A, D, E, K or iron) --- then I could have caused permenant damage to my body and had some nasty side effects. So be careful. Most surgeons across the board will recommend you take the following right after surgery: A good multi-vitamin -- 2 doses per day Calcium citrate (not carbonate) --- 1500mg per day at least, sometimes more B12 -- make sure you find out what dose they want you on After your first round of lab work at the 6 week or 3 month mark, your supplements will be adjusted according to your personal needs.  You hear a lot of people say you have to start iron immediately.  That's not true.  I personally have not taken iron supplements since surgery and my blood levels have actually shown an increase in my iron levels.  Here's what I take for reference sake: 2 multi-vitamins (Centrum adult chewable multi) 2000mg calcium citrate (I am on Depo Provera which tends to leach calcium from bone, so my GYN has me on an extra 500mg) Biotin (for healthy hair and nails) B12 -- 4 days per week Vitamin D Rx-- 50,000IU -- my levels are low and I'm working on increasing them Prevacid -- a Rx my surgeon has everyone on for 1 year to prevent ulcers in pouch I did a multi-vitamin comparison chart when I was deciding which one was best for me.  You can check it out on my blog at: http://pamtremble.blogspot.com/2008/01/mulit-vitamin-comparison.html As for gas -- some people recommend GasX.  I don't use them since I don't have a big issue for that.  For hair loss -- yep, expect it.  But it's not like you'll lose it all, just some heavy shedding.  You'll be the only one who sees it.  It grows back.  Just get all your protein in and be sure to be faithful to your vitamins.  I take Biotin to promote healthy hair REgrowth - it won't stop it from falling out, but it'll help the new stuff growing in be healthy and thick. Don't try to take in too much at once.  Make a list of all the questions you have or things you want to learn about.  Then just take one thing at a time and spend a few days reseraching that topic, then move on to the next thing.  As you think of new questions, just add it to the bottom of your list and deal with it when it's turn comes up.  If you let it all swirl around in your head you'll just drive yourself crazy and get all worried for nothing.  Good luck Pam

My Recipe Index is packed full of yumminess!
Visit my blog: Journey to a Healthier Me  ...or my Website

The scale can measure the weight of my body but never my worth as a woman. ~Lysa TerKeurst author of Made to Crave

(deactivated member)
on 6/22/08 10:56 am - Center Ossipee, NH
Pam,     you are a wonderful thoughtful person ,  you always take time out to answer posts and you have such a great wealth of knowledge.        I love reading your posts/answers to posts etc.               I have yet to NOT LEARN FROM YOU. THANKS FOR SHARING AND CARING . Jen
TMnewlife
on 6/22/08 1:16 pm - KY
Thank you Pam great advice...you really helped me to sort it out in my head. I have some sort of class scheduled before surgery.... I think it's called aftercare so that  will probably include the things you are talking about. Whew this stuff can be over whelming if you let it. Thanks Again.

"Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising every time we fall."

elizabethW
on 6/27/08 11:03 am - San Jose, CA
RNY on 08/08/08 with
YES! I know exactly what you mean!!!! I am having my RNY surgery on Aug 8th with Dr. Joya, and, even though I am a college educated professional woman -- I can't figure out the protien, vitamins stuff either. It really IS complicated. This is made even more complicated because I will be recuperating in Mexico for 8 weeks after surgery and I am not certain exactly what kinds of food I will find that I can eat. I ordered 8 weeks of BariatricAdvantage vitamins to take with me. HELP please make this easier!!!
Fluffee
on 7/6/08 5:17 am - Bismarck , ND
I had RNY on March 19th. I had been buying bariatric surgery vitamins from various places online since before the surgery to prepare. I was very disheartened at the prices and the taste. After surgery I had a big problem getting anything down that didn't taste good and things that tasted fine before surgery didn't taste good after. I was looking for some way to be able to help others in my situation, save money, and perhaps make money somehow by distributing products that we need after surgery. Well, it all kind of came together for me and I found a product that I LOVE, it's researched and guaranteed, endorsed by well respected people, and it's available as a business to those of us who wish to distribute and make some money too. If you are interested in more info please feel free to drop me a note - I will NOT bother you. I will send you info and leave it at that. I am not interested in spamming or bugging people. You can also check out my website at www.heartl.com for some more information. I am just a woman who had RNY and ended up finding something I really needed. I want to share that with you all. Blessings, Tarra RNY March 19th 2008 Lost 80 pounds so far!!
Most Active