Vit B12 is sky high! Is this dangerous!!

nascar24n48
on 6/20/08 11:28 am
Just got my labs back. I am 2 months out from RNY. My B12 was  over 2000 and the normal range is between 200-1100.  My primary doctor said its ok but I KNOW she is not well versed with RNY patients and our vitamin needs. I have heard that low B12 is dangerous and could be linked to MS type symptoms but mine is sky high.  Is this level dangerous? Need opinions from my OH buddies as the Nuts office is closed till Tuesday.  
Pam T.
on 6/20/08 1:26 pm - Saginaw, MI
My B12 was over 2000 the first time I had labs drawn after surgery.  that's because I listened to advise here on a message board and was taking more B12 than my doctor recommended.  I'm more careful now. Thankfully B12 is harmless and the body will just excrete what it doesn't use.  However, levels that are too low -- or even on the low end of the "normal" scale can be very dangerous to our body and cause permenant nerve damage.  After my first round of labs my doctor cut my dose back to 3 days per week instead of every day.  Now my levels are right where they need to be. Pam

My Recipe Index is packed full of yumminess!
Visit my blog: Journey to a Healthier Me  ...or my Website

The scale can measure the weight of my body but never my worth as a woman. ~Lysa TerKeurst author of Made to Crave

deniseg
on 6/22/08 1:59 pm - Monticello, AR
I agree with Pam...B12 is not toxic and our bodies will get rid of what it doesn't need.  So you cannot get too much.  My levels were dangerously low right after surgery...189!  I started B12 shots and continue to take one once a month and my levels have been normal...I'm nearly 18 months out from surgery now.  If you're taking a supplement ask your surgeon about cutting bac****il you get your level normal.  Hope this helps and good luck to ya!

DENISE          
Day of surgery weight/BMI:  246/44.9
Goal weight:  135
Current weight/BMI135/24.6---GOAL!!!!!!!!!
Total pounds lost:  111

Most Active