When to take Calcium????

fitby40something
on 6/20/08 1:41 am - Southeast, MO
I just had rny surgery this past Monday. I'm supposed to start my calcium next week. My question is... Is there a certain time of the day I need to take my calcium? I thought that I had heard that there are absorption issues when taken in conjunction with other supplements, etc. but when I asked the hospital pharmacist that gave me my vitamin regimen he told me a could take it anything time with anything, that it did not make a difference. I just don't want to be defeating the benefits. Please let me know if anyone has an answer. Thanks.

Julie   Extended Abdominalplasty & Breast Lift 6/22/11

fitby40something  HW 240/CONSULT 238/SW 225/CW 170/GW 138
"Get busy living or get busy dying."  --Shawshank Redemption

Purple Passion
on 6/20/08 3:24 am - Little Falls, NJ
RNY on 08/06/07 with
I was told not to take calcium with iron. I take my iron first thing in the morning on an empty stomach and then I take my multi and my first calcium 2 hours later.

I take calcium 4 times a day, so I take it about every 3 hours.

HTH

Rachelle
Looking for a possible revision.
257/190/150 

fitby40something
on 6/20/08 3:27 am - Southeast, MO
Thanks PP!

I thought there was something about taking it with the iron. What kind of calcium are you taking?

Pam T.
on 6/20/08 8:13 am - Saginaw, MI
Make sure the calcium you use is CALCIUM CITRATE.  We do not absorb calcium carbonate, so you must use citrate.  (I have a more in depth explaination in my profile about why that is.) Your body can only deal with 400-500mg of calcium at a time.  So spread your doses out at least 2 hours apart.   Iron and Calcium are enemies.  They bind together and cause either other to be useless -- so neither the iron nor the calcium is absorbed.   Calcium works best when taken with some food.  That's why I plan my calcium doses around my meal and snack times.  Congratulations on your surgery! Pam

My Recipe Index is packed full of yumminess!
Visit my blog: Journey to a Healthier Me  ...or my Website

The scale can measure the weight of my body but never my worth as a woman. ~Lysa TerKeurst author of Made to Crave

fitby40something
on 6/21/08 4:33 am - Southeast, MO
Thanks Pam. That answers all my questions. I ordered the chewables from Bariatric Advantage. I got the chocolate. I'll try them and if they're icky I'll just try something else. Thanks for your help.

elizabethW
on 6/27/08 11:14 am - San Jose, CA
RNY on 08/08/08 with
Pam, we need 2000mg of calcium per day, right?
Charlie
on 6/29/08 4:21 am - Daytona Beach, FL
Julie....all good info here.  But keep in mind, that while you shouldn't take your calcium within at least 2 hours of iron supplements, it would only make sense to not take it within 2 hours of eating iron rich foods also, things like red meat and spinach or any iron fortified foods.  Taking your calcium in the morning, then eating something high in iron may not be a good idea.  No documentation to prove that.....but it makes sense to me. I juggle iron and calcium all day every day. Hugs Charlie

fitby40something
on 6/30/08 5:54 am - Southeast, MO
Thanks Charlie.  I'm sure I'll learn to juggle it all sooner or later.  It's just a lot to absorb (no pun intended).  Even with all the pre-op research I still have so much to learn. Thanks again. Julie

Most Active