confused

isenephthys
on 6/18/08 7:57 pm - CA
i am pre-op; my surgery is july 15.  i am so confused about the diet.  i know i will be on liquids for 2-4 weeks.  i need a basic "shopping list" so i know what to get.  i know i will be on protein shakes for a while; do these count as meals while i am in the liquid phase of things? also, i read in a few different posts not to buy too many shakes pre-op b/c your tastes may change after surgery.   what should i do?
Amy_in_MA
on 6/18/08 11:25 pm - Danvers, MA
Yes, your protein drinks count as meals. They also count towards your fluid intake for the day. If you can get samples of different protein powders to try, start there. Otherwise, don't buy a whole lot of anything until you're post-op and know whether you can stand the taste/tolerate it.

Pam T.
on 6/18/08 11:46 pm - Saginaw, MI
Each surgeon's guidelines are different.  Mine says 3 meals plus 3 protein shakes (as snacks) throughout the day -- so basically 6 small meals. As for shopping.  Check out this link for ideas of what types of foods fall into the different phases -- clear liquids, full liquids, puree, etc.  http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/nutrition/Nutritional-Guid elines-Following-Weight-Loss-Surgery.html Definitely buy SAMPLES of protein powders.  Do not buy big jars of anything until you know for sure that you love it enough to spend the big bucks on it.  I have a list of resources in my OH Profile (a few pages deep so you'll have to search back to about December or January posts) -- it's got a list of all the online and local sources I used or know about for buying samples.  I had to try about 4 dozen different flavors/brands before I found 3 or 4 that I liked enough to buy a whole jar of.  It is definitely a process of experimentation and learning.  Stock up on samples that you can start trying when you get home from the hospital - don't bother trying them before surgery though.  I started with the 21-flavor pack from www.enjoyhealth.com. Good luck Pam

My Recipe Index is packed full of yumminess!
Visit my blog: Journey to a Healthier Me  ...or my Website

The scale can measure the weight of my body but never my worth as a woman. ~Lysa TerKeurst author of Made to Crave

isenephthys
on 6/19/08 6:10 pm - CA
thank you both for your replies. i re-read the packet from my surgeon and apparently, they *aren't* treating the supplements like meals while you are on phase one.  but to me, it makes more sense to treat them that way. i'll have to check out the resources.  i guess i need to start samplin'!  :)
Boogaloo
on 6/20/08 10:06 pm - PA
You have lots of good advice here, so there is no need to offer any more.  I just wanted to comment that what you love in terms of taste prior to surgery, you might hate the first month following surgery.  What you hate the first month after surgery, you might love again six months following surgery.  My taste buds have been playing tricks on me since the surgery..... Lou
HealingPixie
on 6/24/08 6:09 am - Lexington, NC
I wanted to second what Lou said- I still go back and forth between what is perfectly yummy one month and ick the next, esp when it comes to shakes, drinks, & bars.  I wish you well.
Most Active