Protein Problems!!!

cyndi228
on 6/17/08 12:27 pm - Smithers, WV
I am 8 days post op. and I have having the hardest time getting all my protein in! I am required to get 70g a day!!!! I'm lucky if I can get 40g a day. My problem is its becoming harder for me to tolerate my protein now. Everytime I drink it I just feel so sick. Its not b/c my stomach cant tolerate it I'm just so discuted with it now. My main question is.... are there other things out there bescides protein drinks to help me get all my protein in? I am currently drinking Whey and its the only one I can find that I like and now I'm getting sick of it.  I'm still on my Phase 2 of my diet but I'm thinking about starting my phase 3 tomorrow if I can handle it and I'm gonna try eating some eggs. I'm suppose to stay on my phase 2 until end of NEXT week but I can't b/c then I wont be eating anything and I feel as if my body needs food now. Please help me if you can!
Pam T.
on 6/17/08 12:38 pm - Saginaw, MI
It is completely  normal not to be able to get all your protein in at the beginning.  Each day gets easier.  Just work on adding as much as you can the next day. It's a good idea to have 3 or 4 different protein drinks that you enjoy.  I had to try about 4 dozen different protein powder samples before I found a few that I liked enough to buy a whole jar of.  You just have to keep experimenting until you find what works.  If you have some variety, your taste buds won't get so bored with the drinks (which it sounds like what is happening).  Also, don't move on to the next phase of food until your surgeon bumps you up.  Your pouch is still healing and doing food before it's ready could cause permanent damage that you don't want to risk. Each surgeon has specific rules based on the way he/she did your surgery .... so follow what they have set out for you.  A protein shake I did the other day... 1 scoop vanilla protein powder 1 cup Strawberry Crystal Light (or any flavor) Shaved/crushed ice Mix the powder and crystal light and pour over a cup full of shaved ice.  A delicious treat on a hot afternoon! 

My Recipe Index is packed full of yumminess!
Visit my blog: Journey to a Healthier Me  ...or my Website

The scale can measure the weight of my body but never my worth as a woman. ~Lysa TerKeurst author of Made to Crave

Judi J.
on 6/17/08 12:41 pm - MN
call your nutritionist and see if they have other suggestions for you. i think whey is the best protein for us but some people have problems with it. Lots of folks have problems with eggs, I'd urge you not to step up to phase 3 without consulting with your doctor/Nut first! Your stomach is still healing, you don't want to screw it up. And you don't want to barf. Right now fluids is the highest priority, do the best you can with the protein. If you can find any greek yogurt in your area (Fage, Oikos, Trader Joes are 3 brands), it is unflavored yogurt with a lot of protein that you can doctor up with splenda and syrups to possibly make a smoothie. BUT, please call your nutritionist in te morning. You might want to post this on the RNY board too, I think some folks there struggled with the different protein drinks. I've heard of people adding powdered milk to things at this phase too for extra protein punch. But, some doctors say no milk.  ugh, it is frustrating. hang in there, it will get better, call your nutritionist in the morning, ok!!
canticles
on 6/18/08 5:32 am - Richardson, TX
Have you tried the New Whey protein bullets?  It's 3 oz of fluid with 42g of protein.  You'd be over halfway finished for the day!  They are kind of pricey, but worth it especially in this early stage.  I think they're better mixed with Crystal Light, but some people drink them straight. And have you tried the Lean Dessert proteins?  They are delicious and very low sugar/carb.   I think you can get both of these on GNC. I am looking forward to mushy foods like you wouldn't believe.  I feel ya.
Kimberly C.
on 6/26/08 5:10 pm - Great Falls, MT
I had the same problem, I am 5 weeks out.  I just got a variety of protein powders/drinks that are the high quality that our bodies require, and I change it up depending on the day.  Unjury strawberry mixed with crystal light and ice is ok, my fav. is isopure in the bottles from GNC.  Grape and blue raspberry....yum.  I just pour 1/2 into a cup of ice, drink it over a few hours, and the 2nd 1/2 later on.  Each bottle has 40 g protein isolate.  They are clear, so I tolerate them better, as opposed to the milky/shake texture that I literally GAG smelling.  Just as long as you're getting some protein from drinks, you're doing great. 
Most Active