Quorn?

(deactivated member)
on 6/17/08 2:03 am - Cleveland Heights, OH
Has anyone tried this product?  It's sounds similar to the Morningstar and Boca meatless products, but I'd never heard of it before today.  Looks like it's carried at Wild Oats and Whole Foods, among others.  Here's a description of the product from their website, along with a link to the site.  Just curious if anyone has tried this and, if so, what you thought.  Thanks! Kellie

Quorn™ is the brand name of a premium line of all-natural, meat-free frozen foods. The Quorn brand has been sold in the since 1985, and since that time has become the #1 retail brand of meat-free foods in the world! And since its launch in 2002, Quorn products have become the best-selling frozen meat-free brand in natural food stores*! Quorn products deliver great taste, fantastic quality and a wide variety of items to meet the demands of on-the-go lifestyles. You can depend on Quorn products to always be meat-free and soy-free.  There are believed to be over 600,000 varieties of fungi in the world, some of which are the most sought after foods like varieties of mushrooms, truffles and morels. The principle ingredient in all Quorn products is mycoprotein (“myco” is Greek for “fungi”). The mycoprotein comes from Fusarium venenatum, which was originally discovered growing in a field in Buckinghamshire, . In the late 1960s, initial product development began, soon recognizing mycoprotein’s potential as an efficient and nutritious protein source

http://www.quorn.us/cmpage.aspx?section=home
foobear
on 6/17/08 11:51 pm - Medford, MA
I bought some Quorn about 5 years ago, well before my WLS.  It was interesting, but more of a conversation piece than a future staple of my diet.  I'll have to take a look again! "Quorn" is a fairly highly-processed "artificial food" made from the mycelium of a fungus, Fusarium venenatum, as mentioned in the company's literature.  The mycelium is the filamentous, branched structure of fungi that grows underground.  Mushrooms, on the other hand, are the above-ground fruiting body of certain fungi. If my memory serves, Quorn contains egg white as a binder, so it wouldn't be of interest to vegans. /Steve
(deactivated member)
on 6/19/08 12:24 am - Cleveland Heights, OH
Thanks for the reply, Steve.  I hadn't heard of this product until recently, so was just looking for more information.  I've been in a food rut lately, so have been looking for interesting and different things to try, that are also decent sources of protein.  Anyway, thanks again for your reply; it's appreciated! Kellie
Purple Passion
on 6/20/08 3:30 am - Little Falls, NJ
RNY on 08/06/07 with
I love Quorn. Being a vegetarian, this is a staple in our house. My GF is allergic to poultry, so I make Chicken parm with this. Yummy!

Rachelle
Looking for a possible revision.
257/190/150 

Most Active