Malabsorption Question

Cathie N.
on 6/16/08 9:06 am - Augusta, GA
I know that we malabsorb our nutrients but do we also malabsorb calories. I mean if I eat something that has 300 calories am I only really getting about 150?  Does anyone know? Cathie

Proud Mom of Brantley Alexander, 6 1/2 years old .
"CoCo" 
  November 2009,   July 2010

Pam T.
on 6/17/08 12:29 pm - Saginaw, MI
Yes... but it's definitely not 50% like your example.  It is probably more like 20% to 30%.  At least it's that amount at the beginning.  The malabsorption of calories ends eventually.  Your body begins to adjust its anatomy almost immediately after surgery.  Your remaining intestines begin to grow additional cillia -- which is the finger-like tentacles within your intestine that grabs nutrients as food passes by.  So your body becomes more efficient as it tries to figure out how to compensate for the surgery we put it through.  It might take a several months or a couple years before your body is back to absorbing all of the calories you eat.  So because of this, I assume my body absorbs every single calorie I eat.  However, the location that nutrients are absorbed has been bypassed and that never "grows" back and the body can't compensate for that.  That's why we sitll need to take vitamins forever.  I have a diagram in my OH Profile that shows where different nutrients are absorbed in a normal digestive system.  It really helped me understand how my body works and why certain vitamins and supplements are so important. Pam

My Recipe Index is packed full of yumminess!
Visit my blog: Journey to a Healthier Me  ...or my Website

The scale can measure the weight of my body but never my worth as a woman. ~Lysa TerKeurst author of Made to Crave

Fluffee
on 7/6/08 5:20 am, edited 7/6/08 5:21 am - Bismarck , ND
I think we must malabsorb calories and that is part of why we lose so much weight so fast. The bad thing is we also malabsorb nutrients. I found a liquid vitamin supplement that is guaranteed to absorb and has been researched thoroughly. I have had really great results from it myself and I am so happy I found it. I had RNY on March 19th. I had been buying bariatric surgery vitamins from various places online since before the surgery to prepare. I was very disheartened at the prices and the taste. After surgery I had a big problem getting anything down that didn't taste good and things that tasted fine before surgery didn't taste good after. I was looking for some way to be able to help others in my situation, save money, and perhaps make money somehow by distributing products that we need after surgery. Well, it all kind of came together for me and I found a product that I LOVE, it's researched and guaranteed, endorsed by well respected people, and it's available as a business to those of us who wish to distribute and make some money too. If you are interested in more info please feel free to drop me a note - I will NOT bother you. I will send you info and leave it at that. I am not interested in spamming or bugging people. You can also check out my website at www.heartl.com for some more information. I am just a woman who had RNY and ended up finding something I really needed. I want to share that with you all. Blessings, Tarra RNY March 19th 2008 Lost 80 pounds so far!!
Most Active