Frustrated...any insights regarding weight gain/thyroid issues would be welcome

keal19
on 6/16/08 6:37 am - Clarion, PA
Revision on 08/12/13
Hi~  This is actually the first time I've posted on this forum, but truly find myself at wit's end.  I had RNY in February 2004 and did very well for about the first 18 months.  Losing weight without difficulty, exercising regularly etc.  I do admit that exercise slacked off a bit (maybe 6 months or so), but I continued to eat my protein and drink my water....then my weight began to creep back up.  2 years out, I had regained about 10 pounds.  I began exercising again, continued the protein and water...and  at 3 years out...poof 10 more pounds.  In the interim my migraines began occurring again (i hadn't had one since a few days before my surgery).   I began having nightsweats, couldn't sleep, tired all the time and just generally irritable.  Through testing with my PCP, we came to figure out that I've got a thyroid issue going on. They're treating it and trying to get my levels stabilized in the meantime, my weight is continuing to increase.  Regardless of how diligently I exercise, drink my water and eat my protein it has no impact.  I'd be foolish to say that I'm 100% perfect with my eating, but I'm following the directions of my surgeon far more often than not. I was doing aerobics all of 2007 4-5 times a week, with no change to my weight loss, it became very frustrating. Beginning in January, we had an unexpected vacancy at work and my schedule took on a life of it's own.  I could no longer exercise during lunch time, and rarely left the office before 9:00PM.  I keep a stash of protein at the office, and could usually run to the cafeteria to grab a bite to eat.  Although I have to admit that hunger is something that I do not experience.  There have been days where I eat breakfast and then don't eat again until sometime in the evening if my schedule is busy enough.  Hunger just isn't an issue for me, and hasn't been since my surgery. Here's a prime example, I began exercising regularly again about 6 weeks ago, attending one hour classes 4-5 days a week, drinking my water and ensuring that I get a minimum of 70 grams of protein a day.  I've gained nearly 10 pounds!  I have lost nothing and feel like a complete failure.  Some of it is to do with my thyroid...but I don't know what more to do...It appears as though I'm damned if I do and I'm damned if I don't.  It's so discouraging to be doing what's asked/expected of me to have the same result as if I didn't.  I feel like a failure, yet I don't know what more to do or what to do differently. I'm lost....completely lost.
Most Active