re-learning how to eat

bmjonesusmc
on 6/13/08 10:12 am - Beaufort, SC
I need help, I am in the pre op stages but I want to learn how to eat better now. I am not a big fan of very many vegetables, my poor mother tried, but I do like salads, seafood, chicken. Can you give me any advice in changing my diet now and after surgery. I am having Roun Y 
Pam T.
on 6/13/08 10:24 am - Saginaw, MI
I had to do 12 months of supervised diet before surgery.  I started to eat the same types of foods I'd have to eat after surgery.  Basically focused on protein, good carbs and lower fat.  I tried to balance my calories to include 40% protein, 40% carbs and 20% fat and stuck to a 1,200 calorie/day diet.  I logged all my food on FitDay to keep myself on track. Also start training yourself not to drink with meals and to wait 30 minutes after your meal to drink again.  Start exercising and building the strength of your lungs and heart -- you'll be healthier for surgery.  Start chewing your food into mush --- 25 chews per spoonful.  (That was the hardest lesson I had to learn.) Read, read, read, read.... and read some more.  Learn as much as you can about the surgery, what life is going to be like afterward and what biologically happens to your body after.  Learn how food is normally digested and moves through your intestines.  Learn where nutrients are absorbed within your intestines.  Read as many profiles here on OH as you can.  Read every single thread on the forums, even if you don't think it applies to you -- read them anyway.  Learn as much as you can.  Knowledge is power and the key to your success post-op.  Start with my profile and onlne blog if you'd like.  Pam

My Recipe Index is packed full of yumminess!
Visit my blog: Journey to a Healthier Me  ...or my Website

The scale can measure the weight of my body but never my worth as a woman. ~Lysa TerKeurst author of Made to Crave

Most Active